At 1:01 PM 11/30/95, Barkan, Jon wrote:
>Hello kids......

Graying already? :-)

>No offense to Mike Machnik, but the Volpe Complex to me is the worst rink
>I've ever been in.......it's always cold and it looks like a high school
>rink to me because it's attached to the basketball arena...

No offense taken...although I have been in rinks "worse" than Volpe, mostly
non-college rinks.

Of course, you have to remember that the Volpe was built way back in the
DivII days over 20 years ago.  At the time, for a DivII rink, it was a good
facility.  The school didn't need anything more than that.  But since
Merrimack moved to HE, although some improvements have been made (locker
rooms upgraded, new scoreboards, concession stand, etc.), it would take
either a new building or a major renovation of the current one to bring it
up to DivI standards.

Fortunately, although things can move slowly at Merrimack, there is light
at the end of the tunnel...the first steps have been taken with the recent
decision by the trustees to raise funds for a new student center on campus
that would include an Olympic-sized hockey rink.  Apparently the architects
who designed the new UNH rink have been retained for this project too.  I'm
hopeful that at the latest, by the turn of the century, Merrimack will have
a rink that is at least comparable to many of the other schools in HE and
possibly better than many.  And the student center facilities should make
Merrimack a more attractive option for potential college students.

>...but even with
>all that, it still has character....

That's one of the things the cold brings!  I love seeing Ben Smith dressed
like an Eskimo when Northeastern comes in.  And what other college hockey
team has its national anthem performed by Huey Lewis & The News.

BTW, for next Friday's BU at Merrimack game, it has been announced that
Merrimack will be donating the gate receipts to the Travis Roy Fund.  A
good turnout is expected, as BU's only visit last season resulted in the
largest home crowd of the year for Merrimack (2,783).  The number for
ticket information is 508-837-5341.

Mike Machnik                   [log in to unmask]            *HMM* 11/13/93