Validity in the Polls has long been a huge debate in the realm of college
sports. Personally I feel that the polls are interested to look at, but
really shouldn't be used as a leading source for analysis. While it is
always interesting to see the difference between the media polls and the
coaches' polls (as they are significantly different right now), is there a
right or wrong party? Does it matter?

My question is: Of the coaches out there in Div 1 hockey, who puts stock in
the polls? For years Jack Parker has claimed he cares nothing about the
polls, except at the end of the year when the polls are a source of seeding
the tournmament. If so, wouldn't the week-to-week standing be important
also?

For example, let's look at BU's single loss this season. Parker might look
at the game as a loss against a strong Hockey East Opponent (New
Hampshire), in overtime, at the grand opening of a spanking-new spectacular
hockey arena with an absolutely emotion-filled crazy crowd. Add to this
that Parker knows, just like Lou Holtz (football) has always known, that
we're you're Number 1 and/or a defending champion, EVERYBODY is gunning for
you, EVERY night. I've also heard Parker say over the years that a few
losses throughout the season are good for "the character of the team... it
puts the season in better perspective."

Okay. This all sounds good to me.

But what does the rest of the country see when the look at that game,
especially now that more weeks have passed? New Hampshire then was either
ranked or "also receiving votes;" toady they're at 5-7-2 (2-4-2 league).
Does the rest of the country see that it was a great game, and a
hard-fought overtime? Or does it feel (like me) that New Hampshire was a
team that BU just shouldn't have lost to, regardless of the circumstances?
After all, what happens during the playoffs, when there's even more
pressure?

How do other coaches around college hockey feel? Are people of the mind
that you must CRUSH every single opponent by as many goals possible to
prove dominance and help your standing in the polls (like in football)? Or
do coaches simply concentrate on the key games of the season?

Oh, the curiosity.

greenie

S P O O N ! !
(go bu)

ps: Not to sound like I'm flaming... but does Colorado College really
deserve the #1 spot? I'm a BU grad who's now living out here in Colorado.
I've gone to see two CC games in person, and a couple of others on TV (as
well as Denver games in person and on tube). I've also seen BU play in
person and on TV. Both teams look quite impressive, and have some DAMN fine
players. Could I really give an edge to one team over the other based on
12-14 game performance? No.

I'm sure I'm heavily biased, but it seems that with the pressure of being
number 1 and a defending champion, BU gets a slight nod in the
tough-schedule department (although I think that on the whole both HE and
WCHA are somewhat weak this year). On the other hand, CC *is* undefeated.
Not having a loss is fairly important, IMHO. But are three ties better than
a tie and a loss?