I remember here on the list in October or November we had a discussion
about throwing stuff onto the ice. There were a number of early-season
games where free plastic cups, bottles, noisemakers, what have you were
thrown out onto the ice after a bad call, a large amount of goals,
whatever.

Here's a different take on the question -- what about throwing hats for hat
tricks?

On November 3-4th, I was fortunate enough to be in Boston on a business
trip and was able to catch my alma matter, Boston University, play a pair
of games against crosstown rival Northeastern. After seeing BU spoil the
grand (re)opening of Matthews Arena, I saw the Terriers face the Huskies at
home. I had secured seats in grand old section 8 thanks to current student
friends. Pandolfo notched his entirely *shorthanded* hat trick. We went
nuts. My friend Dave and I, in addition to many other fans, flung out hats
over the glass onto the ice. After all, you're not a hockey fan if you're
too attached to your hat.

After the celebration, the ushers walked down the aisle to remove Dave from
the game, claiming they saw him walk up to the glass and "throw something."
When he commented that "IT WAS A HAT TRICK, DAMNIT!, " they added that they
didn't care, and perhaps if he had not thrown anything then the other fans
wouldn't have. Turns out that a few of those plastic cone-horn things had
been tossed on to the ice as well.

After the game, I walked down to the glass and told an usher "I admit it! I
threw my hat! Arrest me! But can I have it back?" The usher was very cool
about it and told me he would look for it. He grabbed it out of the trash
along with all of the other hats that had been thrown to the ice. I
remember the good ol' days at BU when the player would be presented with
all of the hats. Most of the time they kept 'em. After all, isn't it the
only real physical "medal" of such an awesome performance? I mean, what
good is the battered-up game puck?

So I'm wondering... what's up with ushers these days? Is this a new NCAA,
or Hockey East policy? How do you Hockey-L'ers feel about throwing the hats
on the ice? A college trick is a wonderful thing to see, and much more
uncommon than one in the NHL (or AHL or Junior, for that matter, where
there seems to be one almost nightly...)

Greenie

S P O O N ! !
(go BU)

ps: What's up with the Crazy Eights (Section 8) these days? For the 7 years
I went to games, Section 8 was *always* on their feet, *always* leading the
arena in cheers (and jeers), *always* filled beyond normal seating
capacity, and *always* there 10 minutes before the game started! What the
hell happened? If there's a new loud section, I sure as heck didn't see
it...