>         ...With the Maine situation being just the latest of many
>         "violations" to NCAA rules, I was wondering if anyone had
>         compiled a list of things that were acceptable to do for a
>         student-athelete.  There are plenty of people out there
>         that just want to give these kids a hand, and like me, I'm
>         sure a lot of them just want to know what is ok to do for
>         them.

The short answer is NOTHING.  The best thing you can "do for a student
athlete", is cheer for them when they compete.  You can give money to
your school.  Almost anything you'd "do" directly for a student
athlete is against NCAA rules.

Wayne T. Smith
Systems Group -- CAPS        internet: [log in to unmask]
University of Maine System   BITNET/CREN: WTS@MAINE