---------------------------------18701995413199

http://www.usa.net/gtwork/today/spt011.html

--

charlie shub   University of Colorado at Colorado Springs
[log in to unmask]  -or-  [log in to unmask]
(719) 593 3492               (fax) 593-3369

---------------------------------18701995413199

Lucia's goal: CC to score more

By Steve Page

With no scheduled games last weekend, Colorado College hockey coach Don
Lucia had time to tinker.

He took advantage of it, redesigning the Tigers in an attempt to get more
scoring out of all four forward lines.

This from a coach whose team averages nearly seven goals per game.

"If I had a choice in the matter, we would have played last weekend," Lucia
said. "At least now we have four lines that are capable of scoring."

Changes were made to the second and third lines, and Lucia won't have to
wait long to see how it works. The Tigers play at Michigan Tech tonight and
Saturday.

Freshman Darren Clark (two goals-one assist-three points) moves from right
wing on the fourth line to the third line, where he'll center wings Jason
Christopherson (1-1-2), a senior, and sophomore Stewart Bodtker (1-1-2).
Bodtker had been centering Christopherson and sophomore Jason Gudmundson
(3-1-4) on that line.

The other line remains mostly intact, with freshman Jon Austin (2-1-3), a
sometimes starter, again centering left wing T.J. Tanberg (2-0-2).
Gudmundson joins them at right wing.

The first two lines remain the same -- Colin Schmidt (6-5-11) centering
Travis Cheyne (1-4-5) and Peter Geronazzo (8-6-14), and Brian Swanson
(4-8-12) centering Jay McNeill (6-5-11) and Chad Hartnell (2-4-6).

"We think Stewie's natural position is right wing," Lucia said of Bodtker.
"Jon Austin has played awfully well. We wanted to get him in our lineup this
weekend.

"Even with the extra week, we couldn't do some of the things we wanted
(because of injuries)."

Lucia said his defensive pairings remain the same -- sophomore Calvin
Elfring (0-6-6) with junior Eric Rud (0-5-5), junior Bobby Needham (1-2-3)
with freshman Scott Swanson (2-11-13), and freshman Brian Waldo (0-1-1) with
Geoff Herzog (0-0-0).

"Needham's shoulder is not at 100 percent, so we'll take seven defensemen
instead of 13 forwards," Lucia said.

He'll use two extra freshman defensemen, Lee Groom (0-0-0) and Paul Johnson
(0-2-2), who will each play in one of this weekend's games.

Now that he's done tinkering, Lucia says the Tigers shouldn't suffer any
adverse affects from the layoff.

"I think the guys will be hungry to play this weekend," he said. "We're 4-0
there the last two years."