At 4:59 PM 11/9/95, Todd Myrick wrote:
>Call me a pessimist but how does a concerned and caring fan reading HOCKEY-L
>or walking into your local school's ice arena know if Joe Fan with the bucket
>at the door is really collecting for Travis Roy, or his own pocket?

Well, it is certainly good to be aware of where your money is going.  I
believe schools are usually pretty aware of anyone who would attempt to
solicit money inside their own rink.  I am guessing that the fundraiser
John Hauessler mentioned at Michigan's Yost Arena is being done with the
permission of the school and that any similar fundraisers would also have
to be set up through the proper channels.

>Even when the news of Travis first came out, there was a half dozen addresses
>as to where to send money/donations/cards.

Actually, the only confusion dealt with where to send cards in the first
few days following Travis' accident.  That was because he was being moved
to different places in preparation for surgery.

The main address we have seen for the Fund has remained constant to the
best of my memory, although several other groups such as North Yarmouth
Academy set up their own methods of collecting donations locally.

Anyone who just wanted to be safe could certainly just send their check
directly to the main Fund address at the Century Bank in Medford, MA.  That
address can be found on a number of web pages, including the BU and
Merrimack hockey web pages.

Mike Machnik                   [log in to unmask]            *HMM* 11/13/93