Tony Buffa wrote:
>I understand the
>reluctance of the WCHA to go away from the 32 leagues games (is that
>right?) which leaves only a few for non-league and I understand the
>arch-rival thing and the economic thing, but in the long run I think it
>best if things open up.  What if the WCHA went to travel partners
>switching Fri and Sat like the ECAC and only played two (or three if it
>could be worked out) vs league members, that would leave 8 or so for non
>league encounters.

Before too much discussion gets going on this one again, I'll remind the
Eastern hockey fans to pull out their maps and rulers and take a good look
at, say, Grand Forks, ND and Madison, WI.  Note that a SHORT road-trip for
Wisconsin (say, 250 miles to Minneapolis -- I believe the distance is
roughly the same to the two UP schools) is roughly comparable to a LONG
road-trip for "remote" Maine of HE.

There are probably ways of getting it done (most likely involving more
missed days of classes), but please keep in mind that the geography of the
WCHA doesn't lend itself to a Friday night/Saturday night travel partner
situation quite as well as it might in the ECAC.

-Pam (Who was surprised to find that her drive from Maryland to Providence
last Spring was about the same distance as from the Twin Cities to Grand
Forks.)

Pam Sweeney
Go Gophers!
Nastier, Bigger, Faster in '95-'96!