GAME THOUGHTS / EXPERIENCE
--------------------------
This was the first time I had a chance to see Maine play, but I was very
disappointed they had so few fans at the game.  I can understand the
reasons though considering this was a weeknight game.  In the Michigan
Daily, I read that the Maine paper really made this game a major story
running the "Countdown to the Showdown" articles two weeks before the
game.  Could someone from Maine please comment about this to me?

Maine looks like a very physical team with some great size.  Playing on
the standard NHL ice clearly did not favor them but rather Michigan.  In
Providence, Maine had the advantage with the smaller ice surface.  Blair
Allison seemed to have a bad night in net, and this shows no goalie is
invincible.  All goalies will have bad nights at some point in the
season.  Turco by far played his best game of the year, and like Allison
is another big game goalie.

Despite the loss, Trevor Roenick looked good out there.  He seems to
definitely be the best skater on the team, and he has tremendous size.
Tory and Purdie look like great special teams players especially in
shorthanded situations.  Surprised one of them did not score a
shorthanded goal last night.  However; Maine seems to be struggling right
now with tough wins against MSU and Miami and this loss to Michigan might
be the wake-up call to their season as I think they are going to be the
best team in the East this year.  New Hampshire at home will be a good test
for them to get back on track.

Michigan though clearly has showed that the defensemen are going to be
offensive threats seeing Halko and Schock each had a goal.  I feel this
alone could very well be the dimension Michigan has been missing.  The
Crozier goal and the Halko goal were two great plays by both players.
Bubba also had two assists showing for the first time what he can
contribute.

I feel Michigan did not play that well defensively and this will not make
Red happy at all.  He really stresses protecting the goalies.  The
offensive play in the defensemen is good, but the defensive play needs work.

Good Luck to Maine the rest of the year!!

Kenneth M. Baker
University of Michigan '96
E-mail: [log in to unmask]