I know we have gotten into this ACHA-NCAA thread before and it is probably
not worth it to continue to beat it to death, but let me throw in my two
cents from the 60s.  As I have said, and I think Ralph Baer and Bob Stagat
will concur, East Div I hockey in the early 60s was clearly several
notches below the west, where all the powerhouses were (look at the
NCAAs).  I graduated from RPI in '64 and they have great success those 4
yrs.  Then starting grad school at the U of Ill (Champaign-Urbana)
immediately, I was pleased to note they had a club hockey team and a rink.
 My impressions at that time was that the Illinois club team, while fun to
watch, would lose to the worst Div I team by at least 10 goals, and
probably 30 to the NCAA champs.

Now probably things have changed a bit as the talent pool has gotten
larger, I am sure club hockey quality has risen relative to the NCAA
varsity teams.  Actually the 9-2 score (UIC over UI) surprised me, I
thought for sure it would be at least 15 goals.  But as they say, the
proof is in the pudding.  I amsure the club teams win a small percentage
vs the Div III teams, but I suspect would win very few if they played Div
I teams regularly.  I don't think UIC will be in the top 10 teams this
year and they still clobbered the UI club team, which I guess is one of
the better club teams around.

On the topic below,

===============================
On Thu, 19 Oct 1995, Trevor D. Barnes wrote:

> Secondly, why doesn't Illinois-Champaign field a Div. I team?  Their web
> pages indicate that they normally sell out their arena for their games so
> it seems like the interest is there in the community.  Also, other Big
> Ten schools have been extremely successful in Div. I hockey.  There have
> been numerous national champions among Big Ten teams.  So why don't the
> Illini take the next step up?

all I can say is that they have been a club team probably for 40 years.
When I was in grad school there, Wisconsin did not play Div I hockey, I
don't think, but things can change.  I doubt if they will, given the
gender equity and cost questions, however.

Tony Buffa
RPI '64
Univ of Illinois '66 and '69