At 6:05 PM 10/29/95, J. Michael Jackson wrote:
>Obviously, this seems to be the word.  I've attended the last two Final
>Fours and I don't see it.  It was only four games, but he was not very
>impressive on the ice.  Scott Bell of the Gophers made some very pointed
>comments after last year's loss to the effect that Grier played lazy.
>That's the way it seemed to me, though a BU fan said he was playing hurt.
>   I'm just trying to get some opinions about whether he really is that goo=
d.

Well, by your own admission you've only seen him play a few times, and I=
 agree that he was not as much of a factor in those games.  Also, Grier did=
 not really come into his own until last season.  As a walk-on, no one=
 expected much out of him until he started scoring up a storm last year as a=
 sophomore.

I would say I have seen him dominate enough games to the extent that I think=
 he has a real chance to do well in the NHL.  However, he also has a number=
 of things to deal with that weren't a problem for him before.  The focus is=
 on him now, for one thing, so he has to "prove" himself almost every time=
 out.  Opponents bother him more than they used to, and they try to knock=
 him off his game to prevent him from being a factor in the game=
 offensively.  He also has to strike a balance between being the heavy=
 hitter and creating scoring chances, as well as helping out defensively. =
 He's not always able to strike that balance.

My opinion is that Mike Grier could not step into the NHL today and be the=
 player that many people think he will be.  He has things to learn, many of=
 them psychological.  That is the challenge he faces in his next two years. =
 But he's come pretty far already, so I would be the last one to bet against=
 him.

Mike Machnik                   [log in to unmask]            *HMM* 11/13/93