Recently, I discovered that Merrimack defenseman John Jakopin's vitals were=
 changed.  Jakopin had been listed the last two years at 6'5", 225.  This=
 weekend, he was listed at 6'6", 235.  According to Merrimack SID Tom=
 Caraccioli, John said he grew an inch and gained ten pounds over the=
 summer.  I thought he looked bigger.

That ranks Jakopin as the second biggest defenseman in DivI...second to=
 teammate Steve McKenna at 6'8", 235.  It's pretty unusual to be as big as=
 Jakopin is and still not be the biggest guy on your own team. :-)

Speaking of McKenna, it's been interesting to me to see how both he and BU's=
 Mike Grier have developed over their careers.  I remember when both came in=
 as freshmen two years ago; Grier was a role player on the fourth line whose=
 job was to slam people around.  McKenna was a guy whose role was similar=
 and you just hoped he wouldn't make any mistakes.  And when BU and=
 Merrimack met, the "Clash of the Titans" was one of the "games within the=
 game" that had fans looking forward to seeing these two go up against each=
 other for the next three years.

Now, Grier is recognized as one of the top forwards in DivI and his skills=
 have progressed to the point where he is seen as a legitimate NHL prospect,=
 and not as a banger but as a true power forward.  And McKenna, now a=
 captain as a junior, has improved so much at both ends that he deserves to=
 be considered one of the better Ds in HE and also an NHL prospect - there=
 may be none better in HE defensively, and although he is not flashy with=
 the puck, he has developed a good burst of speed that is deceptive given=
 his size.  Few players man the point better than him in terms of being able=
 to keep the puck in the zone, stopping a clear attempt and putting the puck=
 right on net, and getting back quickly on a transition by the other team. =
 And as with Grier, his amazing size still makes him an intimidating force.

I suppose this is one of the things I like the most about college hockey,=
 seeing how players develop over their careers.  Grier and McKenna will both=
 certainly leave college hockey as much, much better players than when they=
 came in - but at least we've still got a lot more time to enjoy watching th=
em.

Mike Machnik                   [log in to unmask]            *HMM* 11/13/93