This is the Daily article from Sept 25 that Tim quoted about Tom Nevers'
eligibility.  Since the Daily has given us the go ahead, I'll include it in
full from the Minnesota Daily web server.
-Pam

Nevers' bat is down, and his stick is up

Jeff Sherry - Staff Reporter

In a way, Tom Nevers fit right in with the other freshmen.          [Image]

Like many of the other incoming students taking their entrance math exam
this fall, Nevers hadn't thought about math theory in a while and was a
little rusty on the ol' algebra.

"I can add, subtract, multiply and divide, but when I look at all the other
stuff, I don't remember where the X goes or if the XY goes on the top or the
bottom or wherever," Nevers said. "It's been five years."

=46orgive Nevers, 24, if his test results do not place him directly into
calculus class. Five years have passed since he took his last math class at
Edina High School. He has some brushing up to do.

It's also been five years since Nevers played center for Edina's hockey team
and was named to the all-state squad. Likewise, his play with the puck needs
some work.

But Nevers' academic and hockey layoff is not preventing him from making a
comeback. After spending the past five years playing minor-league baseball,
Nevers is attending class and trying to walk on to the Gophers hockey team
this fall.

"I'm going to be asking a lot of questions," Nevers said. "If I don't ask
questions, I'm only going to be hurting myself. I want this bad and I want
to do what it takes to make it into the lineup as soon as possible."

And while Nevers admits he has a way to go before regaining the form that
inspired the Pittsburgh Penguins to draft him in 1989, he is confident he
can get into the shape necessary to play for the Gophers this year.

Earning a roster spot on one of the country's premier programs will be no
piece of cake for the Edina native. But Nevers has learned countless lessons
through his years in minor-league baseball that can only help him in his
effort.

Things were quite different for Nevers when he first considered attending
the University in 1990. An all-state selection in baseball and hockey,
Nevers planned on playing both sports for the Gophers.

But that was before the Houston Astros made him their No. 1 selection and
the 21st overall pick in the 1990 professional baseball draft.

"I went to school every day saying, 'I'm going to the U. No, I'm going to
sign. I'm going to the U. No, I'm going to sign,'" Nevers said. "Eventually
it just boiled down to the opportunity standpoint of going pro."

That summer, Nevers, who will continue to play in the Milwaukee Brewers farm
system at the conclusion of the hockey season, began his long run through
baseball's minor leagues.

And all went well until this past year. In 1994, Nevers made the Texas
League (Double-A) all-star team as an infielder for the Jackson (Miss.)
Generals. Later that year, he came one hit away from winning the Arizona
fall league batting title.

Then came 1995 and the destructive major-league baseball players' strike.
Astros general manager Bob Watson wanted Nevers to be a replacement player.
=46or the first time in his professional career, Nevers disobeyed his
franchise's orders.

"I made the decision that I wasn't going to be a replacement player," Nevers
said. "I told (Watson) on a Friday. On a Monday, I (flew) home from spring
training because I wouldn't play.

"Then a few days later I read in the paper that 'Tom Nevers is going to be
disappointed where he's playing this year. He's going to have to live with
his decision.' Basically, Watson was saying that since I made that decision,
I wasn't obligating my contract. At the same token, I wanted to protect my
career."

Despite his stellar performance the year before, the Astros kept Nevers in
Jackson for the third straight year. Double-A ball, again.

A week into the season, a frustrated Nevers approached Fred Nelson, the
Astros' director of minor-league operations, and asked to be moved up or
traded.

"He said they were reluctant to trade me. He also said, 'Sometimes people's
careers are fair and sometimes people's careers aren't fair. It looks like
yours falls into (the latter) category.'

"When he said that, I knew I was going back to school. It was my first taste
of reality. It was the first time I realized they owned my rights and they
owned me as a baseball player."

Nevers struggled through the year, playing third base only a few days a
week. Finally, on July 21, good news arrived. He was "The player to be named
later" in a trade for Brewers' outfielder Derrick May.

"When you get traded for a big-league player, there's probably a pretty good
chance they're going to give you a legitimate shot to be in the big
leagues," Nevers said. "Now, going into spring training this year, I'll
start with a clean slate and hopefully be able to open some eyes."

But for the time being, Nevers is hoping to open some eyes in Mariucci Arena
-- and all across the WCHA.

A freshman academically, Nevers is listed as a junior because he played park
and rec hockey in Edina the last two years. NCAA rules say any form of
organized play after a person's 21st birthday takes away from that person's
eligibility. And the NCAA does not restrict eligibility by age, according to
Minnesota associate men's athletics director Jeff Schemmel.

Gophers hockey coach Doug Woog said he hopes people don't get too excited
about Nevers being an impact player right away.

"It's a major move on his part, but he really wants to do it," Woog said.
"At this point we expect that, in time, Tommy will be able to help us."

So with official team practices starting today, Nevers is focusing on making
himself a better person, a better hockey player and ultimately, a better
baseball player.

"This is an extremely huge challenge for me," Nevers said. "I take a great
deal of pride in the uniform I wear and I would be very proud to wear a
Gophers hockey jersey. If I can attain this challenge and get to play,
there's no reason I can't make it to the big leagues."

[Image]

=A9The Minnesota Daily

Pam Sweeney
Go Gophers!