>This actually brings up one of my biggest pet peeves (maybe someone in the
>business can clue me in on this one).  PASS used to tape games at Michigan and
>then show them tape-delayed the next day or the next week.  But they still
>stopped the game for commercial breaks!  Couldn't they just edit the
>commercials
>in later instead of making the players and fans wait around 4 times a period?
>That still drives me crazy and they don't even do the games anymore.  :-)
>
>Glenn Auerbach
>Michigan '88-?

As a person who started his career producing tape delay hockey I think I
can speak to this issue.  The amount of time it would take to edit in the
breaks is the time of the game + commercials + edit time.  A large expense
of time and money.  Also, it is good to get the refs used to the concept of
commercial breaks.  If you don't get the refs used to the breaks they will
not wait and will start the game while the t.v audience is in a commercial.

Also, just for interest - the television format I worked off had only 4
30sec breaks during each period.  These would be taken early (before 5min
left in the period).  They would only be taken at a break in the action and
not during a power play.  Often these breaks can be taken without any
disruption of the game.

                                         *
Bill and his Purple Barney               *   Bill Nelson
salute motorcyclists everywhere!!        *   Director All News Channel/
                                         *      Conus Communications
St. Cloud State hockey is #1!!!!         *   Freelance what ever else!!
(don't even say it, allow me my fantasy) *   [log in to unmask]
                                         *