The Sporting News 1995-96 Hockey Yearbook is out and I though
Hockey-Lers might be interested in TSN's various college hockey 'lists.'
My comments are found within the parenthesis.

Preseason Top 20

1. Boston University
2. Michigan
3. Colorado College
4. Maine
5. Minnesota
6. Vermont
7. Lake Superior State
8. Brown
9. Denver
10. Colgate
11. North Dakota
12. Miami of Ohio
13. Bowling Green
14. New Hampshire
15. Wisconsin
16. Mass.-Lowell
17. Michigan State
18. Minnesota-Duluth
19. Providence
20. Clarkson

(My comments: I think most people would agree with the teams
comprising the top 5, with the order in debate. As an ECAC observer,
I think one team in the top 10 is more realistic - three is ludicrous.
Brown, Colgate, Vermont and Clarkson are a viable top four from the ECAC,
at least. The omission of Merrimack (in favor of Providence and
Mass.-Lowell) is questionable. I think that Wisconsin and Michigan
State are probably better than TSN believes, but they didn't ask me.)

1995-96 All-America Checklist

(My comments: Is this a preseason All-America team? What the heck is a
checklist?)

Forwards
Kevyn Adams (Miami) Sr
Shawn Bates (BU) Jr
Eric Boguniecki (UNH) Jr
Brian Bonin (Minn) Sr
Jason Botterill (Mich) Jr
Chris Brooks (WMich) Sr
Jeremy Brown (WMich) Sr
Anson Carter (MSU) Sr
Chris Clark (Clark) So
Jeff Daw (UML) Sr
Chris DeProfio (Colgate) Sr
Paul DiFrancesco (SLU) So
Brad Federenko (UMD) Jr
Brian Felsner (LSS) Jr
Curtis Fry (BG) Jr
Peter Geronazzo (CC) Sr
Michael Grier (BU) Jr
Mike Harder (Colgate) Jr
Kevin Hilton (Mich) Sr
Kevin Hoogsteen (UND) Jr
Brian Jardine (Brown) Sr
Mike Johnson (BG) Jr
Ryan Kraft (Minn) So
Antti Laaksonen (Den) Jr
Bob Lachance (BU) Sr
Jamie Ling (ND) Sr
Jamal Mayers (WMU) Sr
Jay McNeill (CC) Sr
Pat Mikesch (Mich Tech) Sr
Brendan Morrison (Mich) Jr
Ryan Mulhern (Brown) Sr
Burke Murphy (SLU) Sr
Chris O'Sullivan (BU) Jr
Mike Peluso (UMD) So
Mike Peron (IC) Jr
Eric Perrin (UVM) Jr
Brad Purdie (Maine) Sr
Chad Remackel (CC) Sr
Bryan Richardson (RPI) Sr
Martin St. Louis (UVM) Jr
Mike Sancimino (Corn) Sr
Colin Schmidt (CC) Sr
Dean Seymour (NMich) Jr
Dan Shermerhorn (Maine) Jr
Warren Smith (Denver) Jr
Mike Strobel (Wisc) Sr
Mike Sullivan (UNH) Sr
Mike Sylvia (BU) So
Sean Tallaire (LSS) Sr
Max Williams (Wisc) Sr
Teeder Wynne (UND) Sr

Defensemen
Keith Aldridge (LSS) Sr
Dan Boyle (Miami) So
Mike Crowley (Minn) So
Mickey Elick (Wis) Sr
Justin Gould (Prov) Sr
Petri Gunther (Denv) Jr
Ashlin Halfknight (Harv) Jr
Steven Halko (Mich) Sr
Charlie Humber (Brown) Sr
Dan McGillis (NE) Sr
Rick MRozik (UMD) So
Nick Naumenko (UND) Sr
Kelly Perreault (BG) Jr
Dan Reimann (St. Cloud) Sr
Jaynen Rissling (Mass) Sr
Andy Roach (Ferris) Jr
Eric Rud (CC) Jr
Reid Simonton (Union) Sr
Chris Slater (MSU) Jr
Jeff Tory (Maine) Jr
Dan Trebil (Minn) Sr
Steve Wilson (Cornell) Jr
Jason Wright (Mich Tech) Sr

Goalies
Blair Allison (Maine) Sr
Ryan Bach (CC) Jr
Kirk Daubenspeck (Wi) Jr
John Grahame (LSS) So
James Konte (Princeton) Sr
Toby Kvalevog (UND) Jr
Martin Legault (Merr) Jr
Taras Lendzyk (UMD) Sr
Dan Murphy (Clarkson) So
Mike Tamburro (RPI) Sr
Greg Taylor (BC) Jr
Tim Thomas (UVM) Jr
Marty Turco (Mich) So
Sinuhe Wallinheimo (Denv) Sr

(My Comments: Chris Clark??? A strange choice from Clarkson, IMO. Where is
Jonathan Kelley of Princeton? Ian Winer of Army? (or any player from
Air Force- there has to be someone worth throwing on this endless list).
Although I like the way that Charlie Humber plays, I'm not sure he
belongs on this list of defensemen just yet - maybe Colgate's Brad
Dexter would be a better choice. Seems to me that Mike Sylvia's
selection is also a bit premature, but I'm glad to see that Shawn
Bates made it.)

Players of the Year

CCHA: Brendan Morrison, Michigan
WCHA: Mike Crowley, Minn
HE: Chris O'Sullivan, BU
ECAC: Eric Perrin, UVM

(My Comments: Can't quibble much here, although how do you choose between
Perrin and St. Louis?)

Geoff Howell
Drop the Puck Magazine