First off, I'd like to thank the parents and friends of all the women
players.  Without their dedication and support the women's game would not
be nearly as entertaining as it is today.  Merci!

I would agree with the general view I've been reading that the top 10-12
women players do make the national side.  Whether these players should be
selected for every international tournament is a hard call.  It is true that
without playing in competitions like the Pacific Rim these players do not
get to try their skills at a high enough level.  However you must balance
that need, with the need to bring in new talent and let those players have
a go at the international level.

Team Canada Women conducts many of its affairs in a smart way.  They
have numerous tryout camps and use small tournaments like the PR to give
young talent a chance.  They are also starting up this year in Calgary an
elite training center for women to play year round in order to get players
ready for WWC97 and Nagano98.  Still, I have heard and seen the type of
political problems that we have been discussing on H-L in the men's game,
in the Canadian camp.  In particular a couple of the defenders selected, and
not selected for WWC94 was incredible.

USA Hockey and its districts are doing a fair job of developing the
women's game and the national team.  The problems arise from lack of
change.  I think it is only right that people who have put body and soul into
the game should be at the top decision making processes.  But it is always
important to remember the need to bring in new people and ideas.  I agree
it is an excellent idea to have the national team goals well established
and to try to have as much continuity as possible.  However if you do not
step back and look at how those ideas are working, given the players and
coaches you have, you can find yourself not progressing.  The current
TUSAW setup lacks that injection of new blood that brings out new ideas,
players who can excel at the highest level, given a chance, and coaches
who can cut and shape their plans to the skills of the players.  I know of
several players and parents who are very frustrated with the current "this
is it" system.  And frankly, having watched all but a few of the national
team players for years, yes there should be changes.  There are 4-5 women
who have not been allowed on the national side and it is a crime.  They
lose and USA Hockey loses and women's hockey loses.  That kind of politics
that keeps the old guard in power is bad for the sport.  I would add, there
are another 10-15 women, some of whom if given a change in a real
situation, with coaches with their eyes open, would be on the national
side.

This discussion of politics in USA hockey has brought up the one big
problem facing women and men, the fact that hockey is a very small, close
family.  While that is good in the sense that most people know each other
and there is a sense of togetherness, it can become a closed society.  That
is very dangerous as it discourages "outsiders."  A good system brings new
players and their parents in and welcomes new ideas.  From what I have
seen and read, USA Hockey needs to open up.

/
 good shooting
 hungerf

And now for something completely different: