>I thought I'd share something which might shed some light on the old (I
>know) UMass/UMass-Amherst controversy.  I just received a church
>newsletter from a friend in Wisconsin (location not revealed for fear of
>wrathful badgers :-).  In it a guest was described as having "received
>his Ph.D. from the Univ. of Wisconsin-Madison."
>
>I found this interesting since the church in question is closer to Green
>Bay (or Milwaukee for that matter) than Madison.  Perhaps the
>geographical clarity is required for state college systems?
>
>Arthur Berman [log in to unmask]

  There seems to be confusion about the name of my new alma mater.  The
official name (since about 1971) is the University of Wisconsin-Madison.

  Prior to that it was known as just UW but had campuses in Green Bay,
Milwaukee, and Parkside (between Racine and Kenosha south of Milwaukee) and
a statewide Extension Division.  UW-Milwaukee (or UWM) was created in 1955
by merging the State (formerly Teachers) College in Milwaukee with the
University Extension in Milwaukee.  In the mid-sixties they created two new
four year campuses at Green Bay and Parkside.  The UW had also developed
new two year centers as 'feeder' institutions in the period since WWII to
releave enrollment pressure.

  The UW was merged with the State University System in 1971(the nine(I
think)  WSU-schools) These schools had evolved from various normal schools
about the state set up to train teachers that had added liberal arts
programs, business degrees, and limited graduate work to their original
teacher training mission.

All of the schools were then called UW-something or UWCenter-something for
the two year ones.  There are two doctoral campuses (Madison and
Milwaukee), 11 four year  + schools and 13 two year centers.

Only three of these have Division I athletic programs, Madison, Milwaukee
and Green Bay, and the Madison campus is the only one with a DI hockey
program (what we discuss here)   In all athletic endevors the UW-Madison is
refered to by the monikers: 'Wisconsin', 'University of Wisconsin', and
'Badgers', just as in the past.

I can appreciate the problems with the teams known formerly as UMass and
Lowell.  Since the teams from Lowell have been playing Hockey longer the
Amherst people (or the league) add the  -Amherst after the UMass in hockey
circles.  It is unfortunate that the Lowell school could not keep its
unique name without denying its state supported status.  No one would think
that because there is a UM-Deerborn and UIC that the state name schools
will suddenly wear 'Ann Arbor' and 'Champaign-Urbana', Neither with UW
teams sport a Madison or likely UMass wear the 'Amherst' (For UMass I can
not say for certain but definitely for UW!)

I wish the team from Amherst had been refered to as UMass, I spent half of
last season trying to figure out which was the UMass of BB fame with out
asking the question.

Hope I haven't bothered anyone.  (And if anyone from the other hockey
playing schools feels offended, I appologize, that is not the message I am
trying to send.)

--eric

On Wisconsin!

Madison is where I've lived, UW is where I went to school.