At 04:01 PM 6/27/95 -0500, Jim Smith wrote:

>It seems to me that there was a third Alaska school that played Division I
>back in the '80s and I can't, for the life of me think of what campus that
>was. Am I hallucinating? I seem to remember that the three Alaska schools
>joined with the United States International University (USIU) to form a
>brief league of some kind. I might be thinking of the University of Northern
>Arizona, which had a Division I team until the rink broke and they didn't
>want to fix it (or something like that). This piece of trivia has been
>nagging me for months. Can someone help me out of my misery?

The third Alaska school is indeed Northern Arizona, who to my knowledge
still field a club team.  The only other "major" university in Alaska is
Alaska Pacific (formerly Alaska Methodist) in Anchorage.  APU was affilated
with NAIA (basketball, volleyball, wrestling) until dropping all sports in
1991.  UA-Anchorage's current (and only) coach, Brush Christianson (sp?), is
an alum of Alaska Methodist.

>Is USIU still playing Division I hockey, or hockey at all? Brad Buetow
>coached there before he went to Colorado College.

I'm not aware of any college hockey in San Diego these days.  I seem to
recall they had rink problems as well...

Mark

p.s. - Love the trombone...

Mark J. Sonnier, C.P.M.               Golden Valley Electric Association, Inc
[log in to unmask]                             University of Alaska Fairbanks
         *** UAF Nanook Hockey - 95-96 Full Members in the CCHA! ***