Mike Machnik stated in part:

> The following is taken
> from the 1995-96 NC$$ Manual:
>
> 17.10.2 PRESEASON PRACTICE.  A member institution shall not commence
> practice sessions in ice hockey prior to the following dates:
>  17.10.2.1 Traditional Segment.  September 7 or the institution's
>  first day of classes for the fall term, whichever is earlier.
>  (Revised: 1/10/91 effective 8/1/91 and 8/1/92, Revised: 1/10/95
>  effective 8/1/95)
>  17.10.2.2 Nontraditional Segment.  September 7 or the institution's
>  first day of classes for the fall term, whichever is earlier.
>  (Revised: 1/10/92, Revised: 1/10/95 effective 8/1/95)

and for last year:

> 17.10.2 PRESEASON PRACTICE.  ...
>  17.10.2.1 Traditional Segment
>   (a) Divisions I and II - The date that permits a maximum of 21
>   practice opportunities (see 17.02.13) prior to the first scheduled
>   intercollegiate contest.
>   (b) Division III - August 24 or the first date on which classes are
>   scheduled for the institution's fall term, whichever date occurs
>   first.
>  17.10.2.2 Nontraditional Segment
>  (a) Divisions I and II - September 7 or the first day of classes,
>  whichever date occurs first.
>  (b) Division III - September 1 or the first date on which classes are
>  scheduled for the institution's fall term, whichever date occurs
>  first.

Could someone explain what "Traditional Segment" and "Nontraditional
Segment" mean?  I guess whatever it means, it won't make a difference
next year.  (I suspect that it has to do with whether of not practice is
on ice or not, or perhaps whether or not the coach supervises.)

Ralph Baer
RPI '68, '70, '74