On Wed, 12 Apr 1995, Dr. Pamela J. Sweeney wrote:

> Greg Bryden wrote:
>
> > Well in thinking back to the national championship game I recalled that when
> > players scuffled in the corners for the puck that the people in the first row of
> > the stands would lean forward and pound on the glass. I know people can't do
> > that at the USAir Arena during Capitals games and don't recall people doing it
> > while at UofM games.. so just wondering if this is a common occurance elsewhere?
>
> No, it's not, in my experience.  Such behavior would get you thrown out of
> Mariucci Arena (probably after a fair warning).  We were amazed that
> the Providence Civic Center security guards did nothing as some fans repeatedly
> pounded on the glass.  Either the guards weren't aware that that can be a
> danger to players and fans (if the glass is broken or dislodged) or the
> Providence security people were too busy harrassing people for trading pins
> and ordering people to return to their seats during play instead of waiting
> at the top of the aisle for a stoppage so they wouldn't block anyone's
> view.
>
> -Pam Sweeney
> Go Gophers!!!
> 1995 NC$$ Phinal Phour!!!

Anohter place this will get you kicked out is the DECC.  Pounding on the
glass will cause injury to someone sooner or later, although the later is
more likely.  It doesn't do the plexiglass any good, not to mention the
aluminum posts holding the glass in place.  At the Metrodome in
Minneapolis, they used to have Plexiglass in left fieldduring Twins' games,
and my friends and I would sit in the first row of seats out there.
Well, in between innings I would get up and stretch out my legs.  If I
even leaned back on the glass for a second I would get an usher over to
our section in about three seconds.  They were very touchy about their glass.

Tony

Anthony J. Frolik                            University of Minnesota Duluth
Go Bulldogs! (Go Gophers, NCAA Final Four!)   13-15-4 WCHA, 16-18-4 Overall
            My views are not representative of the University.