The Friends of BU Hockey 32nd Annual Banquet

        The BU hockey banquet was held last night at the George
Sherman Union at BU. The turnout was high (300+) and the
evening long (five hours). Needless to say, it was a much happier
gathering than the goings on last year. Here's a brief round-up:

Individual Awards

Clifford P. Fitzgerald Scholarship
Presented annually to the most outstanding junior or senior defenseman.
winner: DOUG WOOD

Regina Eilberg Scholarship
Presented annually to the player who combines the highest standards of
Terrier athletics and academic performance
winner: BOB LACHANCE

Most Improved Player Award
Presented to the player who improves most over the course of the season.
winner: MATT WRIGHT

The Friends Albert Sidd Unsung Hero Award
Presented to a senior who accomplishes much over his four years but
does not garner proper recognition.
winners: KAJ LINNA and KEN RAUSCH

Kevin T. Mutch Award
Presented to the most valuable player in the season series with Boston College.
winner: JACQUES JOUBERT

Bennett McInnis Memorial Award for Spirit
winner: STEVE THORNTON

George V. Brown Most Valuable Player Award
winner: STEVE THORNTON

1995-96 captain
JAY PANDOLFO

        Notes:
        Pandolfo was a unanimous vote for captain except for
the vote he didn't cast for himself. J.P. McKersie, who sat out the season
as a red-shirt after an offseason car accident, choked back tears as he
thanked the crowd for their support during his recovery. Jay Pandolfo
promises to be a very different sort of captain than Jacques Joubert--
much more quiet in the Dave Sacco mold of personality. Both Joubert
and Chris O'Sullivan were in Stockholm, Sweden for the world
championships. Joubert will be named the school's male athlete of the
year at the BU Hall of Fame banquet in May.

        Quotables:
        BU coach Jack Parker
        "I've always thought the highs you get from winning never even out
the lows from losing. But this years team changed my mind."
        "It's been great watching this senior class work toward one goal,
which was to do what everyone said we could do. In October, everyone said
we were the best team in the nation. Well, now we are."
        "We don't play North Dakota for a while and you never know when
you're going to win again. So go buy two t-shirts-- one to wear now and
one to wear in a few years so that we'll always remember."

        Jay Pandolfo
        "I think I'll be a more quiet leader, but I'll have to take up
more of a role in the lockeroom. There are going to be less seniors
so each of us is going to have to take a bigger role."

        Neil Goldberg, The Daily Free Press, BU