In article <[log in to unmask]>, "Luiz F.
Valente" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Andrew Brecher and Carl Sussman are certainly entitled to their opinion
>that Mike Parsons is not one of the best goalies in the league, and

I never said that.  All I said is that Parsons has had the same problems
with consistency that the previous poster attributed to other top ECAC
goalies but not Parsons.

>Brecher is entitled to his view that Brown (the fourth best defensive
>team in the league) has a bad defense. Nevertheless many, perhaps most

I was referring to the defense as a the players with the D next their names,
not the defense of the team as a whole.  Gaudet pushes a very defensive
strategy that basically gives defensive duties to the front line,
basically keeping
the opposing team outside of the Brown end of the ice even if it
sacrifices good chances for scoring.  This is why the team defense is
ranked so high.  I've seen too many times when opposing forwards
practically skated right past Brown defensemen and too much botched
puckhandling at the point for me to consider them to be anything more than
average.

>Parsons has kept Brown in many games in which the offense sputtered,
>and on many occasions gave the team time to settle down by making key
>saves when Brown was beleaguered.

Definitely.

>                    There is, in fact, so much depth at defense that
>Bob Gaudet was able to move Charlie Humber to left wing, and keep him
>there even after promising freshman D.J.Harding broke his jaw and was
>out for the season.

Was that because of the depth at defense, or the lack of depth at the wing,
or because he's better at wing than at defense, or ... ?

>Parsons is a capable goalie, who plays a sound, conservative game. I
>must agree with RPI sportscaster Jayson May that Parsons has been a
>wonderful replacement for Geoff Finch.

Much better than expected, certainly.  But not as good as Finch and a lot of
others.  If he improves over the next year as much as he improved over the
last, he could make national honors.  But not yet.

--

- Andrew Brecher ([log in to unmask])  <insert disclaimer here>