If you're rooting for Maine, you should be a bitworried about
this game. I don't think UMass-Amherst could have a better draw.
Why? Because the Minutemen beat the Black Bears earlier this
season after getting blown out. When the Minutemen came to Orono,
I saw a pretty good team for the first period or so. They are
certainly not as talented as Maine, but talent doesn't necessarily
win games.

If I were UMass-Amherst, I'd be looking at the win against Maine.
It can be done, even if it happened at home. What do the Minutemen
have to lose? It's a single-elimination tournament. Beat Maine and
the road gets easier. However, that could be a problem, as the
Minutemen found out earlier in the season. But I think that happened
because the Minutemen looked back on their win against Maine and
felt a bit invinsible. If the Minutemen are going to win, they have
to focus on Saturday night's game while remembering how they beat
Maine two months ago.

If I were Maine, I would be cautious. It doesn't matter that the
Black Bears won two out of three, with both wins coming easily.
What matters is that the Minutemen beat them once and Saturday's
game is a one-night stand. Even though Maine is guaranteed a spot
in the NCAA tournament, the stakes are still high when it comes
down to seeding. I don't think anybody wants to start the NCAA
tournament after a two-week layoff.

There's a fine balance that has to be kept by both teams. The
Minutemen can't get down because they're the last place team,
nor can they get too excited because they beat Maine once. The
Black Bears can't rest on their laurels and consider a spot in
the Hockey East semi-final to be a lock because of their two
blow-out wins against the Minutemen. On the other hand, the
Minutemen can use their standing to their advantage.

Obviously the key is to get off to a fast start. But there will
be more to it than that. The Minutemen will have to keep the
Black Bears against the boards and tie the puck up. They can't
even play one period at a time. They'll have to play each play at
a time.

What will be intersting to see is whether fans will pack Alfond.
Maine used to play in front of sell-out crowds, but that's not
happening anymore. This is spring break and not as many students
will be around. The Minutemen could take the crowd out of the
game early and use the silence to concentrate. Or, if Maine is
able to get the crowd going, the Minutemen could use the crowd
to its advantage by pretending that the cheers are for them.

I think it's going to be an interesting game if the Minutemen
can stick with the Black Bears on the ice.
Ryan Robbins               "Nothing in fine print is ever good news."
University of Maine                                  -- Andy Rooney