Jack Berenzweig wrote:

> However, there is one coach, presently not employed by a Division I school,
>  who has won an NC$$ National Championship and who's teams still hold many
> NC$$ records.  That person is Mike Addesa.  Mike was the head coach at Holy
> Cross from 1975-78 and at RPI from 1979-1989.  In 1984-85 his RPI team won 38
> straight games and captured the national championship.  Eight of his players
> from that team played professional hockey and two went on to be NHL stars,
> Adam Oates and Darren Puppa.

Actually, more than eight players from RPI's 1984-85 team played
professionally, although eight played in the NHL.  Besides for Oates
and Puppa whom Jack mentioned, these are John Carter, Mike Dark, Tim
Friday, Ken Hammond, Kraig Nienhuis, and George Servinis.  I know that
Maurice Mansi played professionally in Italy because he was on the
Italian Olympic team.  Jeff Prendergast played in the minors.  I have
been told that Terry Butryn, Mark Jooris, and Neil Hernberg have also
played overseas.  (Jooris was also on the Canadian National team for a
while.)  I am interested if anyone can add to this, if any of the
other members of the 1985 team eventually played professionally.

Mike Addessa should also be given credit for coaching Rod Langway in
High School, prior to becoming the Holy Cross coach.

Ralph Baer
RPI '68, '70, '74