As a fellow Hockey-L 'alumni type', I feel that I must chime in on the
ever expanding 'sieve' cheer.

Whilst at RPI in 1982-86, we sieved the opposing goalie whenever the Engineers
scored a goal (which in those days was rather frequently).  My question to
you all is:  "When was the first incidence that you can remember hearing the
sieve cheer?".  The earliest I can recall was Oct 1982, when I was a freshman.

I am certain that the tradition must go back somewhat further.

Regarding Mike Addessa and RPI, the 1984-85 team had a 30 game winning streak
which started after an 8-7 loss to North Dakota (an 8-2 victory over North
Dakota started the streak, btw), and ended with a 3-3 tie against Lake Superior
State in the second game of a total goals scored series of the NC$$ quarter-
finals (RPI had won the first game 7-3).  The unbeaten streak continued into
the next season (after winning the championship by defeating Minnesota Duluth
6-5 in triple OT in the semis (Brett Hull played that game for UMD) and
Providence 2-1 in the finals (Chris Terreri was the star goalie for Prov.
that year) until it reached 38 games.  Yale was the team to end the unbeaten s
streak with an 8-5 upending of the Engineers at Houston Field House.

Good luck and good hockey to the Phinal Phour

Rich Boehme
RPI '86