John Haeussler writes:

>NCAA will not tolerate the four division I conferences
>using different officiating systems.  OK.  Is everyone
>going back to the one referee/two linesmen system?
>I don't think so...which leads me to believe the NCAA
>is planning to force the CCHA to revert to the atrocious
>2-1 system.

Mike Machnik replies:

>I just wanted to offer the opposite point of view that
>many of us in HE, at least, don't think the two-referee
>system is that bad.
[snip]
>And if the CCHA is happy with that, then fine.

Ken Baker adds:

>I would like to go back to 2 referees and 1 linesman in
>the CCHA.  I do not see the purpose of the CCHA trying
>to be different from anyone else.  Sorry, John.

It looks like John is playing a man short, so I thought I'd jump off the bench
and voice my opinion in favor of the 1 ref/2 linemen system.  IMO, the quality
of officiating in the CCHA improved this season compared to last.  I don't buy
the argument that because everyone else is using 2 referees, the CCHA should
conform...if the 1 ref system is working out better, then use it!  Be a
leader, not a follower.

I have noticed a few times this year (in WCHA games) where referees have
missed offside calls because they were to busy watching the play, and not the
line.  Seems like there were a few of these at the "Big 10" College Hockey
Showdown (or whatever it is called now) as well.

The only potential problem I see with the CCHA going alone on this is if
talented officials shy away from the league, knowing they would not be
eligible to do tournments.

I'd love to hear opinions from the CCHA coaches, players, AND referees.  If I
were an official, I would prefer the 1 ref approach.

--
Allons Bleu!
Lonnie G.   [log in to unmask]