Headline: PUCK27B.STO
Publish Date: 03/27/1995

Matthew Cross

Staff Reporter

Madison, Wis. -- The Gophers' 5-2 victory against Colorado College on
Saturday at the NCAA Hockey West Regionals meant more than
advancement to the NCAA Final Four next weekend in Providence, R.I.,
and a chance to play Boston University.

In winger Nick Checco's words, it was sweet revenge.

Minnesota's only loss in its last eight games was a 5-4 overtime
heartbreaker to Colorado College in the semifinals of the WCHA Final
Five. The Gophers brought a 4-1 lead into the third period of that
game.

After the Gophers beat Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute 3-0 on Friday
at the regionals, they earned a chance to face Colorado College once
again.

And seeing the Tigers on the opposite end of the rink when it
mattered most is exactly the scenario Minnesota would have chosen.

``(Colorado College) is who we all wanted to play,'' Checco said.
``We were all cheering when we saw the seedings (because the Tigers)
did a lot of talking when they started to come back against us last
week.''

Minnesota anticipated its battle with the Tigers so much that many
feared the Gophers would overlook RPI, which matched Minnesota's
speed and agility more evenly than any team they've faced all season.

But the Gophers dominated the Engineers, recording 53 shots on goal
and limiting their penalties to a measly six infractions for 12
minutes, which was 17 minutes less than the Engineers' total.

RPI's coach, Dan Fridgen, said his team was doomed from the
beginning.

``Right off the opening face-off we fell behind,'' Fridgen said. ``I
don't think there was one time tonight where they didn't attack our
blue line with speed.''

Ironically, Minnesota's offense was a direct result of dominating
defense -- an area the Gophers  call their season trademark.

RPI could only muster 22 shots on goal, including just four shots in
the first period and six in the third.

Colorado College, which is easily the WCHA's most offensively
explosive team, had a mediocre 31 shots on goal.

The Gophers' defense shut down the Tigers, leaving them in
wonderment.

<%-2>``I'm not really sure what happened to us,'' Tigers senior R.J.
Enga said. ``(The Gophers) are a pretty good defensive hockey team --
my hat's off to them for the way they play defense. They were all
over us. They had a stick in our gut the whole time.''<%0>

Clearly, the Tigers were not the same team on Saturday that they had
been for most of the season.

``Did we play our best tonight?'' Colorado College coach Don Lucia
said. ``Probably not, but I don't think we've played well down the
final stretch of the season. Maybe we were playing our best hockey in
November.''

Lucia suspected his team's lack of tournament experience played a
role in their loss.

``We didn't gain any experience last year, (and) it was a great
experience to be in the NCAAs this year,'' Lucia said. ``But
Minnesota knows what it means to get to the show, and our kids don't
yet.''

The Gophers players credited their strong defensive standing as being
the key to tournament play, and it all starts with goaltending.

Senior goaltender Jeff Callinan was brilliant as usual this weekend.
He stopped 51 of 53 shots in the two games and earned his second
shutout of the season in beating RPI.

<%-2>Despite losing the game, RPI's junior goaltender Mike Tamburro
recorded 50 saves in the game against the Gophers, and he predicted a
strong NCAA tournament for Minnesota.<%0>

``I think they're going to score some goals in this tournament and do
pretty well,'' Tamburro said.

Minnesota certainly showed offensive punch, but the sources of its
scoring were a surprise.

Before the postseason started, the Gophers thought they would have to
rely on offensive production from Brian Bonin and Justin McHugh.

If Minnesota coach Doug Woog knew he would get only two points from
Bonin and none from McHugh, he might have decided to save himself the
trip.

But wingers Checco and Dave Larson came through in a big way
offensively.

Checco is fast becoming the Gophers' ``Mr. Postseason.'' Last year he
had 12 total points, and six of them came in the playoffs when he
scored five goals and added an assist.

So far in this season's NCAA tournament alone, he has three goals and
two assists, including both game-winners.

``Everyone picks it up in the playoffs,'' Checco said. ``I kind of go
on streaks and I've gotten some breaks lately, but it's not like I
was saving myself or anything.''

Larson has also turned up his level of play since the Gophers' game
against Denver for third place in the WCHA Final Five.

He has four goals and two assists since that game, despite previously
only scoring 10 points throughout the season.

Larson said the Gophers are determined to win it all.

``(Scott) Bell has been saying since day one that we're going to win
the national championship,'' Larson said. ``I think we have a fair
chance at winning it.''