Jeffrey Beyer wrote:
>--- Mike Greenberg wrote:
>OK, the way I see it, if Cornell beats Union, and Brown beats SLU, cornell
>will be tied with SLU for total points....
>
>We split the season series with SLU, but we beat them in goal differential
>(9-6)  I believe that goals is the second tiebreaker, and if so, does this
>mean that we can secure 8th place tomorrow and host a game on tuesday?
>--- end of quoted material ---
>No, not exactly.
>Cornell surpass SLU only in certain cases.  Here's why.  True, if you're tied
>in points, you split the season series.
>But the next tiebreaker is record vs. Top 4.
>
>Clarkson, Brown and Harvard are IN the top 4.  The fourth team could be RPI,
>Colgate or UVM.
>If Colgate finishes in the Top 4, SLU takes the tiebreaker.  If UVM is in the
>Top 4, Cornell takes the tiebreaker.  If RPI is in the Top 4, it goes to the
>next tiebreaker (record vs top 8) and im too lazy to do those calculations too.
>
>In short, hope for an RPI/Colgate tie and a UVM win, and then Cornell will jump
>over SLU into 8th

If RPI is in the top four, SLU would take the tiebreaker. The other teams
in the Top 8 would be Clarkson, Brown, Harvard, Colgate, RPI, UVM and
Princeton.

SLU's record against these teams would be 6-8-0, for 12 points.
Cornell's record is 3-9-2, for 8 points.

So Cornell's only hope is the scenario Jeffrey presented. (Vermont would
take a 3-way tie for 4th between UVM, RPI and Colgate)

See you later,
John

--
John C.K. Edwards        Stats Geek, Ottawa Jr Senators (25-24-3 56pts) (CJHL)
Carleton U., Law IV                   I don't give a damn about being liked,