Reed Munson wrote:
"I'm going to air my feelings about the SIEVE chant and UW fan's
UNSPORTSMAN-LIKE conduct."

-Too bad you're a little irritated by the sieve chant. mmmmm I wonder if
that's the point?

Reed further states:
"Wisconsin goes into a fanatical Sieve chant aimed only at
ridiculing and insulting the opposing team. Minnesota yells out the letters
of their state -- we're really into English and spelling up here."

-I'm not exactly sure that calling a Badger fan a fanatic is the insult you
intend. Minnesota also has a quaint little cheer that goes
"IIIIIIIIIcing.........." with each icing call. That never grates on anyone's
nerves.

Reed continues:
"The UW fanatical Sieve chant has no logic."

-Au contraire my little gopher. I have witnessed many goals scored on a
rattled goaltender. It is especially gratifying to have the Badgers score a
goal before we're even done with the chant from the previous tally. When's
the last time this happened? March 12, 1995 against Northern Michigan.
Wisconsin scored three goals in 75 seconds. The sieve wasn't even completed
before the goalie was replaced.

He continues:
"UW can be getting their butts handed to them by a vastly superior team and
the band and fans will still do the sieve chant after a goal."

-Chalk that up to plain dumb loyalty. Always a bad trait in a fan.
By the way who is this "vastly superior team"?

Then the scientific card is played:
"I know there are more important issues out there on the list (like the
instant replay discussion) but I believe you should only do a sieve chant
when your team has scored at least 3 goals on a goalie and your team is
winning."

-This just in. Leading researchers at the University of Minnesota today
released the results of their extensive study that a goaltender becomes a
sieve after three goals.

Finally he offers a prescritption:
"Now I won't claim that the student section in Mariucci Arena hasn't been
know to do the sieve cheer. BUT... For one thing, the band doesn't start it.
They obviously don't want to be compared to the UW band and the U of M
administration is sensitive about what kind of image the school and its fans
portray to others. Ridiculing you opponent isn't cool. A sieve cheer doesn't
catch on unless the crowd is really keyed up against an opponent
or the goalie is obviously performing as a sieve."

-Okay, now I get it. A sieve chant is okay if a school has a sensitive
administration, the band doesn't start it, the crowd is really keyed up and
the goalie is OBVIOUSLY a sieve.
Maybe we can get the RPI to include "administrative sensitivity" next year,
so we can determine which schools are allowed to sieve an opponent.
My experience is that Badger fans get keyed up when they score a goal.
Immediately following a goal the goalie appears to be a sieve.
Now if we can just do something about that lousy band....

Well I'll be looking forward to "Sieving" all weekend long.
Get a grip...it's a cheer.

On, Wisconsin!

Mike Blanchard