I'll add my congrats to the RPI (Rensselaer) Engineers (as yet unknown new
team moniker) for rebounding from a somewhat disappointing regular season
to win the 34th ECAC Tournament Championship.  The tournament title was
RPI's third, and their first since the one in 1984-85, when the Engineers
went on to capture the national championship as well.

RPI became just the fourth team to win the ECAC tournament without benefit
of home ice for the quarterfinals, and the first #6 seed to win it all.  The
other road warriors all won their titles within a four-year span:  Boston
College in 1978 (they were the fifth seed, and their title win came over #7
Providence -- the only time other than this year that two teams who didn't
have home ice met in the title game); Cornell in 1980 (#8 seed), and Provi-
dence in 1981 (#7).
--
Disclaimer -- Unless otherwise noted, all opinions expressed above are
              strictly those of:

Bill Fenwick                        |  Send your HOCKEY-L poll responses to:
Cornell '86 and '94.5               |  [log in to unmask]
LET'S GO RED!!                                                  DJF  5/27/94
"One night a week is not a network, it's a marriage."
-- Jim Mullen, _Entertainment Weekly_, on the new television networks