In my first-ever trip to the ECAC final four, I saw some interesting games
and, in general, enjoyed them.

RPI-Colgate:
A great defensive game. Colgate came out and scored first, and looked like
they might handle RPI. But, a power play goal by RPI evened things up in
the first. There was a lot of tough hitting and physical defense. RPI's
2nd goal (the game-winner) came on a great individual rush by Kelly Askew.
Colgate goalie Dan Brenzavich made the save, but his momentum carried him
across the goal line. That was it. RPI looked as if they were content
with the lead and sat on it. Good defense and Mike Tamburro was the story
the rest of the way. I thought we'd have OT, but Tamburro made an outstanding
glove save when he had been beaten by the Colgate forward.

Clarkson-Princeton:
Princeton wanted this one -- big time. Clarkson left the warm-ups 4 minutes
before the Tigers did. It looked clearly like Clarkson was looking to the
championship game against RPI. Princeton wouldn't let Clarkson into the
zone and set anything up. Clarkson's only goal came on another great individual
effort by Claude Morin, a short-handed goal. Princeton's defense was the big
story. However, with less than 2 minutes, Clarkson put a ton of pressure on
James Konte. There were 3 shots that looked as if we were going to OT, but
all 3 went just wide. Clarkson came to play, but they didn't realize who
they were playing.

Clarkson-Colgate:
I think Clarkson woke up to the fact that they needed a dominant effort to
convince the selection committee they deserve a #3 seed. (I'm not saying it
will happen, mind you.)All offense. 12 out of the 15 goals were scored in
one end of the ice. Clarkson had 6 PPGs, 4 goals from Chris Lipsett, a good
showing by Dan Murphy, and a LOT of offense. I started to have some sympathy
for Colgate since this was not the Colgate team I have seen this year.
Clarkson moves on, Colgate goes home. The Red Raiders will be back next year.

RPI-Princeton:
All RPI. There really wasn't any tense moments in this one. RPI did to
Princeton what Princeton did to Clarkson. Stuff the neutral zone, don't
let them set up. I can't remember any odd-man rushes for Princeton all
night. Every time Princeton broke out, RPI had an extra man back. It almost
looked like RPI had 6 players on the ice.

The MVP (Tamburro) was almost too easy to pick. A solid/game-saving effort
Friday night coupled with another solid effort Saturday.

I think we'll see these teams back next year. RPI will have trouble, since
they are losing about 7 or 8 seniors. Colgate, like I said, will be back.
They lose a couple to graduation, but the core is still there.

What can we say about Princeton? They beat BOTH of my team to get to the
championship. They sure deserve it, then. :-) My hat goes off to them,
though. Defeating #2 & #1 to get a shot at the NCAA's. They looked tired
at the end, but I think Hobey was proud, anyway.

Clarkson will be back. I'm not sure how, seeing that they lose players
like Mueller, Tuomainen, Robitaille, and Morin. They do have a solid goalie,
and an experienced group of underclassmen. They always seem to find a way
to get to the final 4.

Clarkson and RPI move on. See you all in Providence!

+  Andy Weise                 Let's Go Tech!!     [log in to unmask]  +
=  SUNY Potsdam '93                                                       =
+  Union College '95?         Let's Go U!!        [log in to unmask] +