John Haeussler wrote:
> OK...different scenario.  Assume that the NCAA selection
> committee also stipulates that any "double winners" will
> remain in their logical region.  So, Clarkson is #2East.
> BU and Maine would still get a first round bye...one of them
> would be seeded in the West, however.

I would argue, however, that since BU and Maine both have *great* travelling
fans, and since with the NC$$ "Money Talks and B.S. Walks", they would
not throw away all that ticket revenue by sending either of these squads out
West.  (There are limits for even Get-A-Lifers.)  It didn't hurt the NC$$ to
(undeservedly) send UMass-Lowell out West last year since UML has a
comparatively non-existent travelling fan base.  It *would* hurt the NC$$
significantly to send either BU or Maine out West.

If the NC$$ has a choice between protecting ticket revenue and protecting
deserved opening round byes, they'll protect the ticket revenue.  In fact, if
you want to be totally cynical about it, you could argue that the NC$$ would
*like* to see Clarkson get the opening round bye so that the BU/Maine team
that gets left out in the cold brings all its fans to *two* Regional games
(assuming that they win the first round) rather than one.

BTW, perhaps Clarkson has a great travelling group as well.  I have no idea
about that.  But it'd be hard to match the Maine-iacs and Terrier-holics.

I wonder how much thought the committee really put into this rule.  Seems to
me like it's something that came up with lots of empty pizza boxes and Budweiser
bottles lying around and it seemed like a good idea.  I can't imagine them
thinking through all the consequences and still going for it.  I don't know
whether to root for Clarkson and then watch the ka-ka hit the fan so that the
rule gets dumped next year, or whether to root against Clarkson to avoid an
injustice this year and hope the NC$$ sees the light anyways.

*****************************************************        ,-******-,
* Dave Hendrickson "Robo" [log in to unmask] *     *'     ##     '*
*        A Hockey Polygamist and Get-A-Lifer        *   *##   ___##___   ##*
* GO BROONS!!!      Go Red Wings!!        Go Leafs! *  *   ##|   ___  \##   *
* GO UMASS-LOWELL!!!    Go Maine!!           Go BU! * *      |  |___)  |     *
* Although I can't remember ever having an original * *      |  |___)  |     *
* thought, and am certainly parroting someone who   *  *   ##|________/##   *
* actually has a brain, these opinions are mine,    *   *##      ##      ##*
* not Hewlett-Packard's.                            *     *,     ##     ,*