In article <[log in to unmask]>,
[log in to unmask] wrote:

>I noticed that Brown won the most physical game (game 2, 74 PIM), while
>Princeton prevailed in the least physical (game 1, 16 PIM).

I'd hardly equate "physical" play with the most penalties.  Game 1 wasn't
the same game as the other two, but it sure wasn't less physical.  Less
energetic, maybe, but there was plenty of activity and posturing.
Princeton's physical presence and tight play was what completely wrapped
up the Bears in the third period of that game.

>Lastly, I will repeat what I've posted before and what I've privately
>said in some very civil discussions with a group of very thoughtful,
>articulate Brown fans. The first period was long and tedious because
>both teams felt a need to establish themselves physically. Taylor
>and Stewart were in a no-win situation; let them play and see someone
>get killed or call every cheap shot they saw until the penalty boxes
>were full and the message would sink through some thick skulls. They
>chose the later - wisely. As everyone at Meehan will agree, the next
>62 minutes of hockey was exciting and well-played. I'll take that trade
>every time.

Unfortunately I missed the first period, so I can't really compare, but
the rest of the game was the pushiest (or should I say dirtiest) I've seen
in any game in a long time.  I'm not entirely sure if the message sank in
or if the refs just gave up.  The refs let the teams get away with a lot
more than they should have.  On both teams, of course, though it seemed
like there were some very blatant non-calls against Princeton.  Maybe that
just means that the Brown players were
more subtle- I dunno.  What was that about a Princeton player pushing a
ref in the first period and not getting called on it?  As I say to a lot
of my friends here, any time Traggio goes in the box on a matching
penalty, don't complain.  I'd really like to see a box score- I don't
think either team had a power play after the second period, when they both
should have had dozens.  By the end
of the first overtime it looked like both teams wanted to go home.  Credit
Princeton with the energy to finish things off despite having played 60
minutes more than Brown did over the past week.  If they play the way they
did here, Clarkson is going to have a tough time on Friday.

--

- Andrew Brecher ([log in to unmask])  <insert disclaimer here>