In terms of ECAC reps in the NCAA tourney (It's just me, but I refuse
to use NC$$), I think it's plain and simple.  Take a look at the last
2 years for example.

In 1993, it was Clarkson, Harvard and Brown from the ECAC.
In 1994, it was Harvard and RPI from the ECAC.

Clarkson in 93 and Harvard in 94 won the tourney, automatic bids.
Harvard won the regular season in 93 handily.

What else was in common?  Brown and RPI made it to the ECAC Championship
game.  If Clarkson had beeaten RPI in last years semi, Clarkson was
almost certain to go.

Therefore, the 2 teams from the ECAC should be Clarkson and, this is
assuming that Clarkson makes the final, whomever wins the other semifinal.
There is plenty of room for Colgate and RPI to move up in to the Top 15
of the RPICH and justify this.  Teams losing in the quarterfinals will not
be considered, even though Vermont and Brown are close to the
Top 12 in the RPICH.

Take another scenario into view.  Clarkson is defeated by Princeton, and
Princeton plays Colgate/RPI in the final.  We know Clarkson is in, and
the winner of the Championship game is in, but what about the loser of the
championship game?  Do they have enough steam to take over and give the
ECAC a 3rd team?  Does this 3rd team have enough over Northeastern to displace
them?

Another thought related to Northeastern.  Does the loss to Lowell put them
out of the tourney and give the West 7 teams?  Or even the ECAC a third team?

* Jayson Moy  RPI '89 '93  *  One of the Voices of Rensselaer Engineer      *
* [log in to unmask]             *  Hockey, Baseball, Football, and Basketball    *
* The "Asian Invasion"     *  on Crystal Clear 91.5FM  WRPI, Troy *EASM*    *