In an evenly matched series, RPI managed to clog up Harvard's superior attack
enough and capitalized on their few scoring chances to 'upset' the Crimson
this weekend. Anyone who has watched the ECAC this year would not call this an
upset save for the seedings, but many, including myself, did not expect RPI to
return to Lake Placid.

Saturday's game was a frustrating experience for the Harvard power play as
they were 0 for 7 and failed to move the puck cleanly for any good scoring
chances.

In one of the defining moments of the second period, with RPI up 1-0 and on
the power play with Steve Martins in the box for a questionable call, RPI
clanged the outside of the right post and soon after had a partial breakaway
sail 3 feet over Tripp Tracy's head. Soon after, Martins exited the penalty
box, stole the puck in the RPI zone and lifted a soft shot just over
Tamburro's glove for a 1-1 tie. Then RPI pulled some very undisplined
penalties and found itself down 2 men with about 1 minute to play in the
period. I thought at the time that if Harvard converted in this stretch that
it would have taken the wind out of RPI, but Harvard's failure to to do so had
to give RPI the hope that it could win in the 3rd.

Relying on Tamburro's flashy glove to stay in the game, RPI finally got
Harvard's defense to break down midway through the 3rd and Wayne Clark wristed
a beautiful shot over Tracy's right shoulder for a 2-1 lead. A few minutes
later (please don't hate me for lack of times and assists), Kelly Askew slid
the puck into the empty side of the net after Tracy overplayed the player
behind the net and it was on to Lake Placid for the Engineers.

Not to go without mention was the excellent play of Tamburro. He made at least
5 excellent saves, 4 with his glove that kept the Crimson at bay. Askew as
well was a star in my book as he was all over the ice and scored an important
insurance goal as well.

Not having seen RPI play that much this year, I'd honestly say I thought
Harvard the better of the two teams, but RPI played patiently, Tamburro held
the fort and RPI was extrememly opportunistic. All in all a good series - of
course not nearly as nail biting as the Brown/Princeton or Merrimack/BU games
of last night but I'll take it.

It was also good to see the governor of our commonwealth only 2 rows below me
at Saturday night's game. It's nice to know Weld can't get any better tickets
than I can.

Here's hoping NESN carries the ECAC's tape delayed this coming weekend.

steve czuba
RPI 86