> Trevor Koenig is rapidly becoming the frontrunner for ECAC Rookie of the
> year.  Union's turn around the second half can largely be attributed to his
> play.

Well, unfortunately, the haven't turned things around quite yet. IMO, they
had as good a North Country trip as they could have hoped for. They controlled
the Clarkson game until the third, where they took some costly penalties.
Coach Delvanthal has been pleased with their play, except they haven't been
scoring. The game against St. Lawrence was probably their best game all
year, with the only exception being their home triumph against RPI.

Union is in the same position as they were last year when they made they're
late-season run. The only problem is the loss of Troy Stevens. But, they
looked just as good without him last weekend. Just goes to show what
happens when the 4th line steps it up!

> Koenig currently leads the ECAC in GA and is second in SP, while as a
> team Union has let in the 2nd fewest goals in the league.  Remember, despite
> last years success this is a team still dressing 3 frosh and 10 sophs each
> game.  Only three seniors play reguraly for the Dutchmen.  Inconsistancy and
> tough(close)losses have plauged Union this year.  Providence, RPI, Yale,
> Cornell and Colgate were all games that Union outplayed and outshot their
> opponent, only to come up short,  while Clarkson, Vermont and Princeton were
> fortunate to escape with a tie.  It is certain that a top four team does not
> want to see Union come in for a three game set come playoff time.

I couldn't agree more. However, they have to play like a top 4 team to get
in that position. Probably their biggest test is against Brown & Harvard
in two weeks. Those games  will be at home. Union has a tough task this
weekend, as well, going on the road against Dartmouth & Vermont. Nothing
is smooth sailing, but we just might see another run this year. I just hope
they don't end up against Clarkson in the quarterfinals. Clarkson took 3
out of the 4 points against Union this year, but both games were tense
nail-biters. If Mike Gallant wasn't his normal self back in November, Clarkson
would have taken all 4 points.

We'll see come playoff time. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Dutchmen
finish like they did last year.

+  Andy Weise                 Let's Go Tech!!     [log in to unmask]  +
=  SUNY Potsdam '93                                                       =
+  Union College '95?         Let's Go U!!        [log in to unmask] +