Last week, in response to a Rick McAdoo post, I wrote

> The Division I limit is still 18 full scholarships and, yes, they can
> be divied up into partial scholarships - I don't know the logistics,
> exactly. Don't forget about regular need-based financial aid as well.
                                      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Tom Morrison responded

   Someone will correct me if I am wrong, but the last I knew (92-93) a
recruited athlete who gets need based aide --that aide is considered athletic
scholarship dollars. So what i am trying to say is-you can't recruit a bunch of
players and get them need based aide and then use your scholarship $$$ for more
players..

My knowledge of scholarship rules is all second-hand since I've dealt
primarily with Ivy League sports, but former UVM defenseman
Ted Madden tells me that non-scholarship players are entitled to full
need-based aid. That comports with what I was told about B.C.'s situation
and makes logical sense; otherwise players from wealthy families would
have an unfair advantage as walk-ons. I'm sure some readers out there can
settle this debate (hopefully in my favor).

Geoff Howell
The Trenton Times
Drop the Puck