Friday, February 24, 1995
Achilles Rink, Schenectady, NY
ECAC League Game

Brown  1 0 1 0 - 2
Union  1 1 0 0 - 2

Scoring:
1st Period:
1) Union, Andy Will 7 (Ford, Monteith) 14:18
2) Brown, Jardine 9 (Reschny, Flynn) 19:12

2nd Period:
3) Union, Cory Holbrough 10 (Monteith, Albert) 9:08

3rd Period:
4) Brown, Merrill 5 (Andersson, Bradford) 15:58

Overtime:
none

Shots on goal: Brown 14-11-8-4--37, Union 8-7-13-0--28.

Power play: Brown 0 of 4, Union 0 of 3.

Goalies: Brown, Parsons 13-8-2 (28 shots, 26 saves)
         Union, Trevor Koenig 6-6-2 (37 shots, 35 saves)

Attendance: 2017

Robert Merrill's 3rd period goal gave Brown a 2-2 tie with Union
Friday night.  The Dutchmen had leads of 1-0 and 2-1 but couldn't keep
the Bears from tying it each time.

The game remained scoreless until 14:18 of the 1st when Chris Ford
sent a centering pass to a wide-open Andrew Will who scored his 7th of
the year.  Brown tied it in the final minute of the first on a goal by
Brian Jardine.  Union scored the only goal of the second on Cory
Holbrough's 10th of the season before the Bears tied it in the 3rd.

The stories of the game have to be some outstanding goaltending once
again from Trevor Koenig and some missed opportunities by the Dutchmen.
More than once, a Union player found himself with a shot at an empty
net only to have the shot go just wide of the net, or in one case hit
solidly off the post.  The fact that no minors were handed out in the
3rd was only because the referees must have decided not to call
anything.  There were plenty of chances for them to make some calls,
but they remained consistent and called nothing.  I'm surprised things
didn't get out of hand.

The tie moves the Dutchmen to 5-10-4 in the ECAC, alone in 11th place
and a point behind Yale and Cornell, which are tied for 9th.  Yale and
Cornell will play tonight, so a win over Harvard Saturday afternoon
would assure the Dutchmen at least a 10th-place tie going into the
final weekend.  Yale holds the tiebreaker over Union with their 2 wins
over the Dutchmen, but Union beat Cornell earlier this season and will
play them in the last game of the season next Saturday.

Before Friday night's game, the annual awards presentations took
place.  Junior Reid Simonton was presented with the Charles
N. Morrison Scholarship Award, presented to the hockey player who
participates in extracurricular activities while demonstrating
academic interest and achievement, given in memory of former Union
coach Charlie Morrison.  The Thomas Van Arden Dukehart Award, given to
the hockey player with the highest grade-point average, was presented
to sophomore Jamie Antoine.

This afternoon's game against Harvard is part of the Bicentennial
celebration.  The College was founded 200 years ago today.  The game
will start at 4 PM.  It's also Senior's day, with a pre-game ceremony
honoring the Dutchmen seniors to precede the game.

| This report and much more information on Union Hockey including schedules,|
| rosters, team photos, and game reports can be found on the World Wide Web |
| at URL http://tardis.union.edu/~terescoj/hockey/hockey.html               |
--
Jim Teresco, Research Assistant, Dept. of Computer Science, SCOREC
E-mail: [log in to unmask], WWW: http://tardis.union.edu/~terescoj/