Since the discussion on HOBEY-L has died off a bit, and the predictions of the
Final 12 have been flying around lately, it seemed about time to announce the
second contest of the year.

So, being the magnanimous Director of Contest Central that I am (USHERS!  GET
THOSE PEOPLE HISSING AND BOOING OUT OF HERE!!!), I hereby pre-announce the
First Annual Hockey-L Conference Tournament Contest!

I've mentioned this briefly before, but as we close in on the end of the regular
season, I felt it was time to divulge the complete set-up and the ground rules.

The ground rules are:

1.  All entrants must pick, FROM THE BEGINNING, all four conference tournaments.
2.  Entries must be POSTMARKED (i.e. the time you send it, not the time I get
    it) by the start of the first games of the tournaments, which is March 7
    at 7pm EST.

3.  All tournaments are weighted equally (40 points each).  In addition to an
    overall winner, there will be a winner for each region of the country and
    each conference.

4.  The winners get...ABSOLUTELY NOTHING (sorry, we're on a tight budget) except    for the knowledge that you know more about the tournaments than the rest of
    us.

The set-ups for each of the tournaments (and the point values for the various
rounds):

Hockey East:     First round (#9 at #8)                    2 pts.
                 Quarterfinals (8/9 winner at #1, #7 at
                   #2, #6 at #3, #5 at #4; single games)   3 pts. each
                    (Teams are reseeded at this point)
                 Semifinals (#4 vs. #1, #3 vs. #2)         6 pts. each
                 Finals (two semis winners)                9 pts.
                 Consolation (two semis losers)            5 pts.
                                                          _______
                                                          40 pts. total

ECAC:            First round (#10 at #7, #9 at #8)         2 pts. each
                   (Teams are reseeded at this point)
                 Quarterfinals (Lowest seed at #1, Next
                   lowest seed at #2, #6 at #3, #5 at #4;
                   three-game series: first two games are
                   regulation with 5-min OT which can end in
                   tie; third game (sudden death) played only
                   if both teams have 2 pts. after first two
                   games [W2, T1, L0])
                   (2 pts. for winner, 1 pt. for length of
                    series)                                3 pts. each
                   (Teams are reseeded at this point)
                 Semifinals (#4 vs. #1, #3 vs. #2)         5 pts. each
                 Finals (Two semis winners)                9 pts.
                 Consolation (Two semis losers)            5 pts.
                                                          _______
                                                          40 pts. total
                                       East total         80 pts.

CCHA:            Preliminary (UAF at #10)                  2 pts.
                 First round (If UAF wins, each of top 4
                   seeds has right-of-refusal and would
                   play lowest seeded team remaining; if
                   #10 wins, then #10 at #1, #9 at #2, #8
                   at #3, #7 at #4, #6 at #5.  Each series
                   is best-of-three, with all three games
                   having sudden-death OT)
                   (2 pts. for winner, 1 pt. for length of
                    series)                                3 pts. each
                   (Teams are reseeded at this point)
                Quarterfinal (#5 at #4)                    4 pts.
                Semifinals (5/4 winner vs. #1, #3 vs. #2)  5 pts. each
                Final (two semis winners)                  9 pts.
                                                          _______
                                                          40 pts. total

WCHA:           First round (#10 at #1, #9 at #2, #8 at
                   #3, #7 at #4, #6 at #5; best-of-three
                   series with sudden-death OT in all three
                   games)
                   (2 pts. for winner, 1 pt. for length of
                   series)                                 3 pts. each
                   (Teams are reseeded at this point)
                Quarterfinal (#5 vs. #4)                   3 pts.
                Semifinals (5/4 winner vs. #1, #3 vs. #2)  4 pts. each
                Final (two semis winners)                  9 pts.
                Consolation (two semis losers)             5 pts.
                                                          _______
                                                          40 pts. total
                                         West total       80 pts.
                                      Overall total      160 pts.

The tiebreakers:  For each of the conferences- Total number of penalty minutes
                      called in the championship game.  For this purpose, game
                      misconducts or game DQ's will be considered to be 60-min.
                      penalties.  LOWER beats HIGHER.
                  For the two regions of the country- Total number of goals
                      scored in the two semifinals and the final game in both
                      conferences (total of six games).
                  Overall tiebreaker- Identity of the 12 NC$$ Tournament teams,
                      with two pts. for the correct team, one pt. for their
                      correct regional, and two pts. for their correct seeding
                      (whether the regional is right or not).  Examples:
                         Your pick             Actual            Pts.
                         _________             ______            ___
                         CC West 2            CC West 2           5
                             "                CC East 2           4
                             "                CC West 1           3
                             "                CC East 3           2
                             "               not in tourn.        0
                       Maximum value here would be 60 pts.

As of this moment in time, only two teams have "clinched" their spots in the
tournament(s): Michigan as #1 in the CCHA and UMA as #9 in HE.  When the final
spots have been determined, I will post them to the list (if they're not here
already).  Hopefully, this will be no later than the morning of March 6.

The order form follows.  Abbreviations are acceptable as long as I can figure
them out.  Due to the reseeding in all tournaments, I'm really not going to be
able to have a playoff "tree," but I hope that the form is understandable.

Remember, the deadline is March 7 at 7pm EST.  (I realize it could be a bit
tight, but blame the NC$$, not me.)  Send responses to ME, not the list, at
[log in to unmask]  Good luck to all (but especially to me).  As is
my wont, I will post my picks sometime on the afternoon of March 7.

G. M. Finniss
Michigan State University 13-7-3, 18-10-3
WVU '87, UTenn '92, MSU who the hell knows when?

BTW, does anybody know any good places to eat in Big Rapids?

_________________________________(cut here)____________________________________

                    HOCKEY-L Conference Tournament Contest
                       Deadline: March 7, 1995 7 pm EST

Name:
School affiliation:
E-mail address:

Hockey East:          First round winner:
                      Semifinalists:
                      Finalists:
                      Champion:
                      Third place:

                        Tiebreaker- Total number of penalty minutes in
                                    final:

ECAC:                 First round winners:
                      Semifinalists (no.of games in []'s):

                      Finalists:
                      Champion:
                      Third place:

                        Tiebreaker- Total number of penalty minutes in
                                    final:

                   EAST Tiebreaker- Total number of goals in HE semifinals
                                    and final plus ECAC semifinals and
                                    final:

CCHA:                 Preliminary winner:
                      First round winners (no. of games in []'s):

                      Quarterfinal winner:
                      Finalists:
                      Champion:

                        Tiebreaker- Total number of penalty minutes in
                                    final:

WCHA:                 First round winners (no. of games in []'s):

                      Quarterfinal winner:
                      Finalists:
                      Champion:
                      Third place:

Tiebreaker- Total number of penalty minutes in
                                    final:

                   WEST Tiebreaker- Total number of goals in CCHA semifinals
                                    and final plus WCHA semifinals and
                                    final:

                OVERALL Tiebreaker- 12 NC$$ Tournament participants:
                        EAST                       WEST
                     1.                         1.
                     2.                         2.
                     3.                         3.