Andy Weise writes:
>I hope this doesn't get drawn into another PC debate. For those who were
>not on the list last year, UMass-Lowell had to change from the Chiefs to
>the River Hawks due to the outcry of native Americans in eastern
>Massachusetts.

I thought Lowell changed its nickname voluntarily after a vote by the
faculty and students.  I don't remember anything about any complaints
from Native Americans - in fact, I seem to recall that the change was
made partly because Lowell wanted to be able to have a mascot and
could not have an appropriate one with the nickname Chiefs.

Now they have those weird looking bluebirds. :-)