Sean Pickett writes:
>>This is only partly correct.  From what I understand there are
>>basically two "champions" declared  in HE.
>>      1.  The Regular Season Champion
>>      2.  The Tournament Champion
>
>This is true, but unlike other teams, BU only raises banners for winning the
>league tournament championship.  BU has never made a big deal out of winning
>the regular season title.

I don't recall seeing a banner at BC for HE regular season titles, but
I could have missed it.  I didn't think to look for one.

I believe this controversy (if you can call it one) stems from the
regular season banners that Maine has raised.  Specifically, this
began after the 1987-88 season when Maine won its first regular season
title but was defeated by Northeastern in the tournament championship
game.

The next season, as I recall, people at Northeastern were not happy to
hear and then see that Maine had raised a banner proclaiming Maine as
the "1988 Hockey East Champions".  Of course, Northeastern also had a
similar banner.  I also recall that Maine was forced to change its
banner to read "1988 Hockey East Regular Season Champions".

Personally, I don't care if teams raise a banner for both titles or
just for the tourney championship.  But a distinction should be made.