Well, if the story about Welsh stepping down today is true, then this may well
be a great day for OSU hockey.  A lot of people were talking last year about
how the Bucks played hard and stayed very close to the upper level teams last
year.  A few people commented that perhaps they were ready to at least be a
more competitive team in the CCHA this year given that they seemed close to
being one last year.  I don't think anyone was willing to say they would
challenge for the title, but at least be a near-five hundred team.  However,
with essentially the same players, the Buckeyes have continued their losing
ways.  I will post some of the numbers from Welsh's hall of shame, but if I
remember them correctly, the Bucks have only won 10 or more games once in the
last seven years and have not had 10 or more wins in the league in even longer.
 I think the last time the team's winning percentage was above .400 was 87-88
or something like that.  I know that the program here is saddled with a number
of liabilities that would make it difficult for anyone to produce a winner, but
Welsh has not had significant losses to graduation the last couple of years and
the team has failed to even show the slightest *improvement,* let alone win.

While I hate to wish anyone the loss of his job, I do feel that Welsh had
become one of the program's liabilities.  Perhaps in another system, he could
make something happen...perhaps the lack of support from OSU administration
made it so he just got wrapped up in the mediocrity and incompetence
around him and could not escape.  Whatever, it has been clear the last several
years here that a change was needed.  The coach is only one of many changes
that need to be made here though.  It is a good start, but OSU will continue to
be an embarrassment to the university athletic program until they start giving
them the support and facilities necessary to produce a quality hockey program.

Despite being one of the most vocal people on this list calling for his
resignation, I do wish him the best and hope he finds another program where
maybe he can make a difference.  These last 10 years or so must have been hard
on him...if they weren't hard on him, then he doesn't care enough about the
sport, his players or the university to be a coach anywhere.  I give him the
benefit of the doubt and assume he does care though.  In many ways, I feel
sorry for whoever comes here...whoever it is will hopefully make the university
give certain promises of support and commitment to improve the program.  I
wouldn't put it past the university, however, to hire someone from within in
order to avoid having to make a commitment to the program.  We will see....

Dave Smith
OSU Med '95