> I think this is a cool tradition. It's certainly far
> less goofy than other practices that have become acceptable (octopus on the
> ice, anyone?)
>

> It's taunting. Look for the league to ban the practice.

It seems to be a few steps beyond taunting, if you ask me. Let me (dis)qualify
myself: I haven't physically seen a college hockey game this season, let alone
MSU or Miami. I don't know if the "scalping" procedure consists of removing
handfuls of slush that naturally accumulates during a game, or physically
chipping at the ice with one's skate-heels. But throwing objects on the
playing surface (be they octopi, fish, fish sticks or whatever) are traditions
(cool or not) started and perpetrated by the *fans*, who cannot always be held to
levels of sportsmanship. The only sport that currently allows taunting among
participants is pro wrestling.

I say "a few steps beyond" taunting because it seems to approach out-and-out
vandalism. Again, I don't know what's involved in scalping, but ice surfaces,
as we all know from the recent Zamboni/physics thread, require a great deal
of care and maintenance. It's tough to get worked up over
ice--as noted on MAD ABOUT YOU, it's simply "water, cold and time -- but
compare the practice to a team ripping up an opponents football or baseball
field and the practice seems less cool.

Greg Sorenson