1) Greatest player ever out of Maine

What about Eric Weinrich? I know he went to Yarmouth Academy; did
he prep somewhere else before heading to U.Maine? Not according to
the NHL Guide and Record Book (to answer my own question). As for
Dan Bolduc (Harvard '76), he may have played 100 games in the NHL
and 88 in the WHA, but he does not hold any Harvard records listed
in the Crimson media guide. Nor is he in the top 20 career scrorers,
although he could easily have left school early. He is credited with
being in the class of '76, but his first season with the Whalers
was 1975-76. Unless he played after his eligibility elapsed, he
is probably the first Harvard player to leave school for the pros
(since joined by Chris Biotti, Aaron Israel, and Ted Drury, to my
knowledge).

2) David E. Kelley

Highlights from his profile in the 1978-79 Princeton media guide:

"A 'defensive' defenseman, Dave was lauded by coach Jim Higgins
game after game for his leadership and outstanding play, including
his spirited efforts to block shots ... steady performer at right
defense for the Tigers ... and played in 71 consecutive games ...
attended Belmont Hill School, where he captained the baseball and
hockey teams ... Dave's nickname is 'Machine Gun' and is the lead
of a popular singing group on the Princeton campus called "Machine
Gun Kelley and the Heroes." Major: Politics. Career Goal: Law."

As we know, Mr. Kelley pursued a legal career (BU Law School) before
being hired as a consultant on L.A. Law. The rest, as they say,
is history.

3) BU/NMU final, 1992

I'll never forget this game , if only because it was one of the
worst video snafus of my life. I set the VCR for 3 hours on LP
speed and didn't get the third overtime on tape. So as far as
I'm concerned, it was a 7-7 tie.

The game-winning goal was scored at 1:57 of the third Ot, by
Darryl Palandowski, as mentioned by Laura Campbell. Sean McEachern
nearly won it for BU in the first overtime when his shot went off
one post, hit the other, and stopped on the goal line.

Every now and then I'll ask Princeton coach Toot Cahoon (an
assistant to Jack Parker at the time) "How could you lose a
game with the greatest line in college hockey history?" I'm
referring, of course, to McEachern, Tony Amonte and Keith
Tzachuk. Boy does that steam Toot. Other prominent figures
on BU included Scott LaChance, Peter Ahola and David Sacco.

4) The decline of college hockey/the ECAC

I tend to agree with Steven Rockey. I think the average college
hockey player has improved, creating greater depth, but that
the number of top line players has been reduced (and probably
is more evenly distributed). The inability of teams to bring
in Europeans (Denver and Clarkson excepted) and the increasing
number of Canadien players passing up U.S. colleges (if you
believe The Hockey News) are two factors. Of course, there
are increasing numbers of U.S. players from off-track states
like PA and NJ ...

5) Western PA

Ryan Smart is not the only D1 player to come out of Western Pa.
Colorado College has a forward named Craig Mooney, I believe,
from Pittsburgh - he held the national high school scoring
record until surpassed by New Jersey's Casey Kutner (points)
and Clukey (goals). Princeton's Joey Pelle, who is taking
at least a semester off from school, is also from Western
Pa. Adam Wodon will know if Tony Ranaldi, who used to live
in Hershey, actually grew up there or was a transplant.
Kevin Murphy (Clarkson) is from Harrisburg, although he
prepped at Northwood. Does anybody know of others?

Geoff Howell
The Trenton Times
Drop the Puck