First, I believe UAF uses some sort of replay to help in determining
assists, as the announcer often gives corrected scoring reports, usually
between periods.  During the Harvard series in December it seemed that
every goal was incorrectly scored, as nearly all were later corrected.

I'd also like to mention one more point which the other posts have not
addressed.  As a goaltender, I have been credited with second assists a
few times during my less-than-illustrious career.  While they were all
legitimate assists, I couldn't help but feel a little embarrassed that
most were just routine clearing passes followed by some incredible
skating by the forwards.  In some cases, goalies are quite adept at
getting the puck up the ice, attempting to catch their opponents in a
line change or something.  These assists are a little more reasonable.

So much for clearing the water on this one...

Mark Sonnier
UAF '90