>Then the strangest goal that I have seen in a long time occured.  UND's
>Hrynuik on a breakaway put a hard shot on Caravaggio's stick side.
>Nothing. No sound, no puck. It literally disappeared.  The ref's
>thought that the puck had been stopped in Caravaggio's pads but
>a search produced no puck. Then they search the net. No puck. Then
>someone saw the puck lodged in the top of the net over the back
>brace.  A score was awarded to UND but it doesn't stop here.  Fans
>in the right corner were pointing and hollering about a puck in the
>overlap between the net and the top of the glass.  They clearly
>indicated that the puck fired went there!  The ref's then conducted
>a conference with the net scorer to determine if he saw what
>happened. (He did not turn on the light at the shot.) Apparently, he
>didn't know. There being no definitive answer, the shot was given
>to UND.  What did happen? Despite ref checks of the net before the
>period, was the net checked well enough to find such a puck? Did a
>fan throw a puck in to the top of the glass? Was the puck there
>from practice? Was the shot legitimate? We'll never know.

At the start of the Mariucci Championship game a second puck appeared from
"nowhere".  Looking at the tape it appears that the second puck was lodged
between the back of the net and the support post.  In any case this is the
second straight weekend that the WCHA has had possible trouble making sure
there are no pucks left in the nets.

Sean Pickett
Go BU Terriers, 1994 Hockey East Champions!