>In fact, in discussing this further with Keith, who originally posted
>this piece of information about a month ago, he explained to me that
>in the RPI, the "real" weight of WP works out to be about 4.57, while
>that of OWP & OOWP combined is about 2.42.
>
>This can be determined by the following (again, as told to me by Keith):
>
>4.57 = (0.25 * standard deviation of WP)
>2.42 = ((0.50 * std dev of OWP) + (0.25 * std dev of OOWP))
>
>where 0.25 = RPI weight of WP, 0.50 = RPI weight of OWP, 0.25 = RPI
>weight of OOWP.

Just some notes to add: these standard deviations are from last year's data.
The standard deviations will be (slightly) different this year, but probably
not significantly so. Also note that these are the *hockey* SDs--b-balls
numbers might very well be (significantly) different.

Also, comparing standard deviations is not the only way to evaluate the
weights of the Rating Percentage Index. But I checked with a *real*
statistician who specializes in ranking systems, and he said it has some
validity.

Keith