In article <[log in to unmask]>, [log in to unmask] (Tony Buffa) writes:
|> BTW, I received an alum newsletter the other day touting a "contest" to
|> rename "Rensselaer's athletic teams"  It said that the name "Engineers"
|> was only used by the hockey team.  I don't think this is true, I think
|> football did and other sports. Any recent alum comments?  The main reason
|> seems to be that the name "Engineers" is not marketable, i.e. you can't
|> make a cuddly doll or whatever to sell.  How about a tee-shirt with a
|> slide rule on it?  :-)
|>
|> Go Engineers!!
|>
|> Tony Buffa
|> RPI '64

You are correct, the football and women's hockey teams do use the name
"Engineers".  Not quite sure about others but I think so.  As I understand
it the Athletic Department and administration as a whole feel that since the
school is not ALL engineering students, why should the teams be named "The
Engineers"?  They want something that would more accurately represent the
student body, or something like that.  They're also looking for a new mascot
to go along with this. I personally like it the way it is as so a lot of other
people I know.

Let's Go Red

Eric Lynn
Ex-Manager - America's Pep Band