Date: Fri, 20 Jan 1995 22:48:04 -0900
From: KEVIN R YETMAN <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Merrimack 4 UAF 1
To: [log in to unmask]

Mike,

I have not sent this to Hockey-L.  Should you care to forward it, be my
guest.

Friday night at the Carlson Center here in Fairbanks the Nanooks took to
the ice against Merrimack College.  For me, it was my first Merrimack
game in about two years.  Merrimack did not disappoint, although I do feel
that they were outplayed by UAF.

Merrimack jumped on the board first about halfway thru the first period.
Matt Adams let a shot go from the right wing face off circle that trickled
between goaltender Brian Fish's pads.

It remained that way for the rest of the period.  The first period was
pretty even.  In the first half of the period Merrimack had four or five
quality oppurtunities that had they cashed in on, they would have put the
game out of reach early.  UAF only had one that I can recall.
The shots for the first period were 14-13 in favor of UAF.

The second period saw a lot more oppurtunities for UAF.  The only time play
seemed to leave the Merrimack end was when the line of Adams Kesselring and
Beck was on the ice.  Other than that, the play was seemingly in the
MC zone an awful lot more.  UAF had many quality, point-blank oppurtunities
on goaltender Martin Legault.  Legault was equal to all of them.  Legault
surprised me with his speed to drop to the ice and get back on his skates.
He was definitely on his game tonight.  In my mind, he was the number one
star.

Merrimack did score once in the second period.  Again it was the line of
Beck Adams and Kesselring.  This time it was Kesselring from Beck and Adams.
Adams had been wreaking havoc in the UAF zone, and Merrimack snapped off a
couple quick shots.  The puck came to Kesselring, on a feed from Beck.
Kesselring had Fish point blank, and beat him clean, low and on the ice.

The shots in the second period were 10-8 in favor of UAF, and many of the
UAF shots were of the quality variety.

The third period was much like the second.  UAF stormed the Merrimack end,
and threw everything but the kitchen sink at Legault.  The Merrimack
netminder stopped all but one of the shots that came his way.

About halfway thru the period, Merrimack clicked again for the goal that
really drove a stake in the heart of the Nanooks.  This time it was Matt
Adams again from Mark Cornforth and Rob Beck.  It was your basic two on two.
Beck took the pass from Cornforth.  Beck was on the left wing side at the
UAF blue line.  Beck quickly shuffled it to Adams, who put a beautiful fake
on the defenseman covering him, and walked in alone.  Fish appeared to have
the puck at first, but it trickled thru and into the net for the goal.

I must confess I left the game with about a 1:45 left, because I had to
catch a bus back to the school, but on the bus, the game was on the radio,
so from here, details may be a bit sketchy.

UAF jumped on the board at the 19:03 mark of the third period when
Freshman winger Forrest Gore took a pass from Eon MacFarlane and beat Legault
low and to the glove side.  A second assist was awarded to junior Trent
Schachle.

Down by two goals, and with 57 seconds left, UAF coach Dave Laurion decided
to pull Fish in favor of an extra attacker.  UAF did get the puck into the
Merrimack zone.  However, when defenseman Dallas Ferguson tried to pass the
puck to his defensive parter, Daryl Krauss intercepted the pass, and skated
in alone on the empty net.  The unassisted goal put an end to any hopes
of a late UAF rally.

I did not get the final shots on goal, as the game was turned off as soon
as Merrimack scored to make it four to one.  If I had to guess I would
say on the order of 40-30 in favor of UAF.

General thoughts:
UAF clearly outplayed Merrimack, except when The Adams-Beck-Kesselring line
was on the ice.
Martin Legault was THE difference, and if he didn't earn first star honors
(* it wouldn't surprise if it went to Adams or Beck *), he deserved it.
Generally the game was very clean.  There were two four on four situations,
one Merrimack power-play, and two Nanook powerplays, including a two man
advantage for 11 seconds.
The attendence announced was 3041.  It didn't seem like it...I thought about
half that number.

I was talking with a fellow tonight who has watch the Nanooks for years, and
some of the stories he told me sound a lot like the stories we were telling
a few years ago at Merrimack.  UAF I feel is furthur along in their movement
to full time Division I than Merrimack was when they were at this stage of
the game.

If Merrimack is going to compete and go ANYWHERE in the playoffs this year
they have to do a few things:
1.) They can't give up so many quality oppurtunities
2.) They have to cash in on their chances, especially early in the game.
3.) They can't take foolish penalties.
4.) Hope they don't run into UMass-Lowell! :)

That's about it from the Great White North.  I'll try to report on tomorrow
nights game too.

And yes by the way, other than Coach Anderson, I was the only was clapping
when Merrimack scored! :)

Kevin Yetman
Merrimack College '92
University of Alaska-Fairbanks '96(?)