Bob Hall writes:

>Several years ago I had the chance to mention the possibility to UT Athletic
>Director Al Bohl, who made it clear in no uncertain terms that varsity hockey
>would never be a part of UT's plan ("You can't show me a program that makes
>money").

I may be missing something, but aren't there a number of Division I hockey
programs that make money?  I know Cornell does, or at least they have in the
recent past.  I was under the impression that hockey was considered a revenue
sport (though at nowhere near the level of football and basketball) by every-
body but the NC$$, who insists on lumping it in with "other minor sports."

Granted, starting up a varsity hockey program would probably be a costly
undertaking...
--
Disclaimer -- Unless otherwise noted, all opinions expressed above are
              strictly those of:

Bill Fenwick                        |  Send your HOCKEY-L poll responses to:
Cornell '86 and '94.5               |  [log in to unmask]
LET'S GO RED!!                                                  DJF  5/27/94
"I used to think the brain was the most important organ in the body, 'til I
 realized, yeah, look what's telling me that."
-- Emo Phillips