Message 56/61 From Mike Machnik Dec 8, 94 01:14:38 am EST
Mike wrote
>In a way, it is too bad that Grier is getting much of the attention he
>gets from outside HE because he is black, since he is unquestionably
>deserving of recognition simply because he is a very good player,
>regardless of his race.  But on the other hand, he says that he
>understands that he can be an inspiration to other blacks who want to
>play hockey and he accepts that role, and this is admirable.

I don't know too much about Shawn Reid who finished up playing at CC last
year, except that he gave a great interview when he was out with an injury a
few years ago.  He was an inspiration for how he played and who he was, not
because he was black.  In fact in college hockey you really can't tell one
player from another except by build and perhaps their face if you can see it
through the masks.
--
Matt Evans
Minnesota '89